AV Gas For My Smoking Big BLOCK - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2002, 05:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post AV Gas For My Smoking Big BLOCK

Hi,
I would like to hear any information any one has about AV Gas. I use it in my Smoking Big BLock Altered as tht is what I was told to do (13 to 1 compresion).
If you drop it onthe ground and try o light it, it does not blow like gasoline. Does that mean it also requires more ignition/spark to ignite?
Planes fly high in the sky, the oxygen etc.. make up is different at at various altitudes. How can it be still good for the car on the ground?
My main concern is how under much underpowered is my stock ingition HEI and is it more so because I am using AV Gas.
The stall is a true 5500, the gears are 4:30 and the cam goes to 6500. She pretty much misses slightly all the way down the track!!
P.s..I'm hungry, any one feel like ordering pizza?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2002, 07:23 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

A hot coil probably wouldn't hurt.I've got one of those excel hei coil packs on my street car and I like it.As far as missing not sure but I think you need a Hi-Po module for high rpms.All the rest of the ignition is in good shape right wires,plugs cap/rotor etc...??
Old 08-07-2002, 05:23 PM

I can't tell you about ignition, but a friend of mine has always run AV fuel in his 67 Impala with stock LS1 13:1 . I can't even begin to imagine how many 10.5 sec 7200 rpm "passes" he has made! No smoke there and it sure does run!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:35 PM

AV gas is super-high octane like what 119 or something?? It allows you to use 2/3 of the regular high octane gasoline with a geratly increased quantity of oxygen. Much hotter fire... Needs a hotter spark, so a better coil and starter system,... not to mention hotter wider gapped plugs would be nice.

The AV gas will need more air than any standard carb system will make for you, realistically, so get one of two things. Get a supercharger and butterflies, they CAN fit under some hoods, and that's all I have to sday aboutthat...

Get a SC Blower system, with AV gas, and hot ignition system all the way to wide gapped plugs

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by:

deadguy.org ]

Airplanes have a ton of pistons, and they are all puny. They require very little air and are not able to fly very high at all. The props cannot pull an engine ANYWHERE near it's potential, and if it can, then the craft is likely a glider/type and operates unconventially.

Low-compression high octane, expensive carburation system. Using moisture filters much more sophisticated than a fuel filter on a car.

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: deadguy.org ]</p>
Old 08-08-2002, 04:11 AM

Well I'm not the expert here but the higher the octane number the harder it is for the fuel to combust. This is why we use higher octane fuel in engines with higher compression.It keeps it from pinging/knocking. AV gas is GOOD stuff! It just costs a pocket full! And hay it's blue! You may just want to find a 76 gas station some of them have a pump with 100 octane gas.

Tim
Old 08-08-2002, 11:18 AM

I beleive that the AV gas w get up here (Canad EH) is 101 or 104 octane. (highest pump gas we can get is 92) and is reletivly cheap in comparison to the real race gas C112.

Sorry, No BLower or SUpercharger neccessary just yet..i am holding on for dear life as it is. The scoop on my Altered sucks enough air I think (almost ate a Bird once)..lol

So the Higher the Octane, The More spark that is required to ignite it..Hmmm

What would you consider opening up a BBC spark gap to?

This weekend, went back to the race track wih a New Ignition Module and the Car lost a 10th (not very good weather at all too). Really cleaned up the missing. Ya hooo

Funny, I always thought, they worked or the didn't!! not that it would cause a high rpm miss.

I know my ignition is underpowered, I am just trying to figure out How quickly I have to go out and spend all those Canadian Loonies and what diference is it going to make?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.