Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant for headbolt threads? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Wiki Edits: 0

Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant for headbolt threads?

Getting ready to put my heads back onto the new 406 shortblock and was wondering about using "Aviation Form-A-Gasket" sealant as a pliable (or should I say "viable"?) solution for headbolt thread sealing. Anyone ever used it for this application? My thinking is that it might produce a bit less drag on the fastener(s) {ARP Bolts} than pipe sealant or black RTV silicone-which are possible options mentioned to me by some other people locally (whom both swear they've used them successfully). I'm just thinking I might get "truer" torque readings-especially on 2nd and 3rd stages of tightening to final torque value. Could I get some feedback on this? (Heads are aluminum-thick deck, and yes I'll be using oil on the usual places). -Thanks,Jim.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I haven't used aviation for a long time, but I think it gets tacky, I would use what just about everyone
else uses, black silicone, & a can of sealer when you
fill it with coolant.
Rich
Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

I use Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket for sealing head bolts and never had a problem. It will get tacky if left out to semi dry. But I put it on the threads and put the bolts in without time for set up.

gcrmcc
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Not everybody else uses silicone for head bolts and, if fact, it is not recommended for that purpose.

tom
Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

+1 ^^^

I do not like silicon for this reason. Silicone rtv has been found in more places than it doesn't belong than where it does. JMO

Aviation #80019 is some wonderful stuff, as is hylomar, and many other non silicone sealants.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

remember the days before silicone? silicone is great on the corners of pan gasket and intake in proper proportions. i get engines all the time just gooped up everywhere. any way do as tom and stroke said.

sam-missle
Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I really prefer the idea of the Form-A-Gasket sealant, as I believe that,"as applied",in it's thinner consistency,it MIGHT allow for more accurate torque readings, and I had absolutely no doubts about it's sealing abilities,-just never used it for this application before. I'm also of the belief that it may stay more flexible and affect any possible re-torqueing values less than other products. So... that's what I'm gonna use!-Just wanted to get some opinions on the positive side of that idea first!-THANKS AGAIN.-Jim
Old 06-21-2008, 05:08 AM
AK427

Last photo:

My 350 had what looks like black RTV on the headbolt threads. It's gonna be fun cleaning-out the bolt holes in the block! For re-assembly, I'll be using Loctite 572 as recommended by a respected engine shop over here. I was going to use ARP thread sealer, but they advised against this unless the block was new (or new-ish). They advised me to go with Loctite 572, as this was a product they'd arrived at after lengthy discussions with Loctite to resolve issues they were having with other sealers. It's pricey ($30+ for a small bottle) but it has a long shelf-life.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:48 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

We use Arp head bolts for our builds and use there thread sealer as recomended and no issues over the years.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

IMO
the most important factor is thoroughly cleaning the threaded hole with a brass gun barrel bore brush, and thread chaser if necessary, using spray cleaner, and thoroughly drying with compressed air.

I prefer the ARP sealer

but have used liquid teflon and Aviation Permatex (brown liquid in the bottle with a brush) with success in years past.

Silicone RTV is a no-no most everywhere except intake manifold end seals.

Since silicone was mentioned for pan corners, IMO I prefer one piece rubber pan gaskets.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 AM

I was indeed referring to the {Aviation Permatex (brown liquid in the bottle with a brush)} myself when I was making the initial inquiry, and yes I'll be certain to be sure the tapped threads in the block are thoroughly clean and dry. Anyways...Thanks to all for the feedback. I gotta run;Wifey wants the computer back! -Jim

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.