Axle housing separating from hog head - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Axle housing separating from hog head

This is my second post on this Site and with the first post I received a lot of good advice and information. I have a 02 Silverado 1500. This time last year I had my rear end rebuilt. Did the proper break in on it. Then about 2 months after I got it broke in a dumb kid backed into my right tire at about 25mph. Since then I have readjusted the backlash and put new fluids in it. Now every time I slow down to a complete stop or turn either direction I hear a clank like my backlash is too sloppy. Idk how it could be in shimmed it good unless somehow my rear end is separating between the axle housing and the hog head. Anyone had this happen? How can I fix it? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Axle separation is not likely. It can happen, but there would be oil leakage and other evidence. It also would not cause ring/backlash problems. Check for a bad bearing..
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM

When I reset the back lash I put brand new timkin bearings on the differential and the wheel bearings
Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

BamaZ71... I edited the thread title.

there is no need to use HELP !!!! in thread titles here at Hotrodders
BamaZ71 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,026 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Axle separation is not likely. It can happen, but there would be oil leakage and other evidence.
I've seen axle housings twist in the pig, so housings coming out doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. I've also seen fellows weld the housings to the pig.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Check u joints.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I've seen axle housings twist in the pig, so housings coming out doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. I've also seen fellows weld the housings to the pig.
Yes, we used to weld 12 bolts all the time..Before they broke.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Something does not sound right here.
Like already stated if the axle tubes were working there way out, you would be seeing gear lube leaking out on the ground as well as the interference out by the brakes as the axle tube gets longer than the axle was designed for.

The only way that comes to mind that will allow back lash to increase is if the carrier bearings were not pressed on all of the way and the ring gear carrier is slowly moving away from the pinion.
If the pinion yoke has come loose that can allow a backlash problem as well, but you should here a pretty noticeable whine from a loose pinion.
If your carrier shims were driven in tight as they should be there will be no movement.
So how are you adjusting your ring gear back lash?

Any chance the clunk your hearing is the side gears/spider gears, center pin are moving around too much when your engaging the trans?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM

The guy I paid to set the backlash put only a couple shims on each side. Had a quarter inch gap on both sides of the differential so I had to reshim the differential that is what I meant by readjusted but since this was my first time doing such a thing I didn't realize that I needed to drive the shim in I got it close measured the backlash and it was at .007 thought it was good apparently by me not forcing the shim I allowed it to move when engaged. I asked the guy who built it why there was such a gap and he responded that I need to make sure my housing is not separating because that would get my backlash out of wack.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Well does it look like your axle tube is moving away from the center section?
Hope all works out well for you.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM

I have put a paint mark on the axle housing on both sides of the hog head hasn't moved yet
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaZ71 View Post
The guy I paid to set the backlash put only a couple shims on each side. Had a quarter inch gap on both sides of the differential so I had to reshim the differential that is what I meant by readjusted but since this was my first time doing such a thing I didn't realize that I needed to drive the shim in I got it close measured the backlash and it was at .007 thought it was good apparently by me not forcing the shim I allowed it to move when engaged. I asked the guy who built it why there was such a gap and he responded that I need to make sure my housing is not separating because that would get my backlash out of wack.
I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like neither one of you know what you are doing when it comes to working on a rear end. The differential bearings must have preload on them, which means that the shims must go in very tight.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Big gear head knows^^
Carrier bearing shims need to be driven in to put a preload on the carrier bearings.
People seem to forget about the amount of torque the pinion gear is applying to the ring gear to move the vehicle.
As the ring gear drives the ring gear, it is also trying to move the ring gear away from the pinion.
If your carrier bearings are not tightly "loaded" in the case, the ring gear can/will easily deflect away causing excessive noise and premature gear wear.
Ever wonder what the big holes on the back of the rear housings were for?
A case spreader can be set in those holes and spread the case to allow easy insertion of the carrier shims for the proper preload.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 AM

Big Gear Head I'm not offended at all like I stated in an earlier post this was my first attempt at fixing a rear end and the guy I paid has been working on them for awhile.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Last photo:

Once you have used the case spreader to setup a rear gear you will wonder why you ever tried to pound in the shims. Also welding the axle tubes to the third member can be tricky. The thirnd member or "hogs head" is cast iron while the axle tubes are generally rolled steel.

Vince

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.