Hot Rod Forum banner

Axle replacement for 68 Mustang

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dmorris1200 
#1 ·
I have a 68 Mustang with an 8" rear axle with the standard 2.73 gearing. I am trying to find out if anyone knows of an 8" rear axle replacement from a newer vehicle that would work, like an Explorer or Ranger but that has the same width as the 68 Mustang.

I am looking to replace my axle with another that already has the higher gearing and possibly disk brakes too, overall width is my concern.

#2 ·
What I would advise you to do would just to buy a lower gear ratio and a limited slip. Something like 3.50 or 3.80. They usually range from $130-180. and about $400 for a good locker or limited slip. It would be much less work to do, and cheaper if you get it done by somebody else. than changing the whole rear and out. I'm pretty sure they didn't use the 8 inch rear end past the 70's. The third member that you have in your mustang is the stronger of the two designs so it should hold up nicely to whatever you do unless its going to be a race car.
If you want disc brakes what you could do is find a lincoln versailles rear end in a junk yard. It is a 9inch rear end usually with about the same ratio thats in your car now. They come with disc brakes and of course is a stronger rear end. The only problem with this is that its wider and would need to be shortened.
So i guess you have a couple of options here but, unless I'm mistaken i don't think any 8 inch rear ends came from the factory with disc brakes. you can buy good kits that start at about $500 bucks (stainless steel brakes).

#3 ·
According to everything I have in print the 68 mustang didn't come with 2.73 gears. The standard set for the 8-inch rear was usually 3.00. I was in the same boat last spring trying to figure out what to do with my 73 mustang. I had the stock 3.00 8-inch rear. After realizing how much more performance stuff that was available for the 9-inch I decided to swap out of my 8-inch. I found a 9-inch in a junk yard and rebuilt the third member with 3.70 precision gears and a new limited slip differential. While overhauling the 9-inch I found that the left axle was damaged, to my amazement the 8-inch axles were exactly the same size and both 28 spline. I think the trucks were 31 spline. And with a fresh 9-inch in the back I don't ever plan on having to worry about it going boom.
<a href="http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html" target="_blank">www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html</a>
This address may give you some help with the rear measurements. You can see the 9-inch build-up in my photo album in the photo album section. Good luck, Ford Rules!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.