Hot Rod Forum banner

Axle Tube Number ID Help

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Morex52 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have looked all over the net to try to identify my rear housing with out much luck. Can any one identify these numbers? This was located on the passenger axle tube front side ( 7 AA O 275) does this identify what it is to any one? It is a GM 10 bolt 8.5 ring and has non C-clip axles with 11" durm brakes. My problem is that I was told it was a 73 camaro rear when I bought the car ( car is a 50 chevy ) when I pulled the axle to replace a leaking seal and bearing nothing listed for 73 camaro was correct for what I had. This rear has timkin tapered roller bearings for axle bearings (U289 bearing, U261L race) and has a retainer staked onto a grove that is cut in the axle just after the bearing on the differential side to hold the bearing in place. NAPA crossed the bearing to (PBR9) it is the right size and has a bearing retainer that presses on to replace the original retainer. That all worked well, except when I reinstalled the axle it had excessive end play (90 thousands), other side that still has the original bearing has 0 end play. So I shimed the new bearing so it had no end play. But on this type of axle bearing the seal pushes directly on the bearing when you tighten up the plate that holds it all in place and I think that it should have some extra shim so it will hold the seal tight so it cant turn in the housing as it does not press in tight like a C-clip type does. Thanks for any help.

Ed......................

See less See more
#2 ·
7 AA O 275
I didn't get a result back for the 7 AA, but it is a very common later model axle code style for the later model GM's (78-88).
O= The axle was assembled in the Oldsmobile assembly plant.
275= 275th day of the year or October 2nd, unless it was assembled on a leap year which would have made it October 1st.

No codes after the julian date means the axle was not equipped with a limited slip differential.

The rest of the things you mentioned are typical of a GM 8.5 inch axle, it will share parts with some of the axles that are being assembled even today. GM had a LOT of parts interchangeability to reduce costs for many years, which only helps us out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply M&M any information is a start. I have some additional numbers if it is any help to any one for identification.
Cast on the center section in various locations are the following numbers,
H108
GM43
C2
Any additional information would be great.
Thanks
Ed...................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.