Axle width - dropped I-beam in 32 Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Axle width - dropped I-beam in 32 Ford

I am looking at getting a dropped (4") I-beam front axle for my 32 Ford. I see that axles are offered in 48 - 46 " widths (king pin to king pin). Any advantages in width?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Just depends on how wide your back one is as well as what size tires you will be running on the front as well as the wheel offset etc. I prefer my front wheels center to center to be a little narrower than the center to center measurement of the rear. Also deuce rails are wider than A model rails so the wider one probably for the deuce and the narrower one for A model.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

As a Deuce owner ... maybe I can help ...
The 46 inch wide axle works well if you have disc brakes ... because the disc brake setup is thicker than a drum brake setup.

I have the 48 inch wide axle under my 32 Ford Roadster ... and as you can clearly see ... my wheels are up under the fender ... But it has 56 F-100 drum brakes.

I also used a 48 inch under my current 32 3W coupe project. It has Wilwood discs. I have to be a little more careful with the rim offset on the 3W but the rims/tires are under the fender on it also. IF ... you run a rim with 3 and 1/2 to 4 inches or more offset to the outside ... a 46 inch axle is required.

A 48 inch axle uses a 2 inch longer spring than the 46 inch axle and I believe the longer spring results in a better ride ... So I try to use the 48 when I can ...

Deuce ... Moderator
Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

A 48 inch axle uses a 2 inch longer spring than the 46 inch axle and I believe the longer spring results in a better ride ... So I try to use the 48 when I can ...

Deuce ... Moderator

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that. It makes sense but I never thought of it before.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that. It makes sense but I never thought of it before.

Ride quality ...
I drive my 32's ... and I want the ride to be the best I can make it. The longer spring really helps IMHO. And that's why I run a coil spring rear end setup. NOT coil - overs but coil springs ... like a late 60's Chevelle design. I use Vega coils ... in a fabricated coil can on the top and fabricated spring mounts on the lower.

Also helps to get set the ride height ... where I want it ...

The coil springs were at the powder coaters when I took the last photo shown.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

[B] Ride quality ...
I drive my 32's ... and I want the ride to be the best I can make it. The longer spring really helps IMHO. And that's why I run a coil spring rear end setup. NOT coil - overs but coil springs ... like a late 60's Chevelle design. I use Vega coils ... in a fabricated coil can on the top and fabricated spring mounts on the lower.B]
Do you have any other pics of the lower spring mounts? I checked your project journal and can not see how are they attached to the rear end. Are the lower bars of the four bar setup attached to them or directly to the rear end?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Directly to the rear ...
It is a polished Stainless 4 bar kit from TCI in California but without the coilovers ... the coil spring mounts are custom fabricated ... and welded to the rear axle housing. The top cans are also fabricated and welded to a custom crossmember.

My 32 Roadster is the same exact way ...

Deuce
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM

what is axle width on a '40 and a Model A front axle?

What are the axle widths (king pin to king pin) and (wishbone mount to wishbone mount) on a stock '40 Ford axle and a Model A axle?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Check out this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...nt+axle+widths
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 PM

Interesting Jalopy Journal link to discussion about axles.
Nobody seems to know what the drop in dropped axles actually refers to in real measurement. Well, here it is:
Dropped axles are measured in inches that the axle is dropped in relation to the axle end(kingpin boss). That is, a 2.5" dropped axle is 2.5" lower than stock. The old catalog terminology was 2.5(actually 2 1/2, we are in the USA after all) inches over stock. So a 4" axle is 4" lower than a stock one and so on.
Now, by the forged dropping methods certain axles could only be dropped a certain amount dictated by the length of the axle between the spring perch boss and the kingpin boss. Certain forge-dropped axles have a distinct squeezed appearance with the top and bottom flanges being rather wide and deformed looking. Others (like those from Mor-Drop) have a uniform bend and flanges with very little deformation.
Model A axles can be dropped the most, up to the 5-6" mark.
32-36 axles up to 4" or maybe even 4.5".
37-41 axles up to 3".
42-48 axles the least at about 2".
These old-style dropped axles require the Ford spindle arms to be bent in a sharper turn to the rear and dropped as well for radius rod clearance in most applications.
The modern Super Bell axles and Magnum axles are made with a correct bend which does require the arm bending of the old style spindles.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.