Hot Rod Forum banner

axles for 86 monte carlo

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jooooooe 
#1 ·
I have an 86 Monte Carlo LS, it has the stock 7.5 10 bolt rear-end. I bought a Detroit locker posi unit at a swap meet installed it and then found out that the unit has 28 splines while my axles are 26 spline. Does anyone know if there is a vehicle out there that I can rob some 28 spline axles from that will work. If not will I be able to have axles made for it? Please, no smart *** answers. Thanks.

#3 ·
I'm guessing you changed to a 9in ford housing,if the housing has'nt been shortened you should be able to find used axles otherwise there are several companies that sell what you need.
Its a little late for Santa to get them under your tree for you ,but have a merry christmas anyway.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response LL, but actually all I changed was the differential. The locker unit that I purchased is for the 7.5 10 bolt. The problem is I don't know what it came from (I've been told possibly from an s-10, but the axles are supposed to be longer). So, now I need 28 spline axles that are the same witdh as the original 26 spline axles, if there is such a thing. I have completely rebuilt this car, it is 90% brand new and I've given it a retro look (big rally wheels with pancake centers, cowl induction hood, all of the trim has been deleted from the exterior, except for a set of crossed flag emlems on the front fenders). When completed it will definately be a one of a kind. I'm calling it an LS/S. This axle problem is really holding me up, but it's not the first obstacle I've encountered. Any input is surely appreciated.
Thanks Jacked-up Joooe.

#6 ·
I'll say it will have to be a custom job, I am not positive, but I don't think you will find anything but 26 spline axles. All of the monte carlos, well all of the 80s g-bodies with the exception of the GN had 7.5 10 bolt rears with 26 spline axles. I am also pretty that all the s-10s and F-bodies had the same rear just different lengths. Some s-10s may have come with 8.5s but I am not sure. If you can find a 8.5 from a GN you would have a direct fit rear that would be strong as heck.

#7 ·
86ssman, this is what Strange Engineering told me. 76-88, the 7.5" 10bolt rears had 26 spline axles. 88 til present they have 28 spline. They said that Chevrolet is not very generous with information about axle widths, so he couldn't help me there. So, now what I need to find out is will axle's from a Camaro/Firebird work, since these are the sole serviveing rwd cars other than the Impala. I've already paid to have the posi-unit installed and it's all ready to roll except for axles. I don't really wanna have to pay 500-600 hundred dollars for a set of custom made axles when the car(even though it has about 350HP) will never have a set of slicks or high grip tires on it. The axle width for my Monte is 27.25 inchs from the outside of wheel bearing to the end(the c-clip end) of the axle shaft. If someone who has a set of 28 splines axles laying around can measure them for me it will help alot. Much thanks for the input. Joooe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.