Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - axles for 86 monte carlo
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2002, 07:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

86ssman, this is what Strange Engineering told me. 76-88, the 7.5" 10bolt rears had 26 spline axles. 88 til present they have 28 spline. They said that Chevrolet is not very generous with information about axle widths, so he couldn't help me there. So, now what I need to find out is will axle's from a Camaro/Firebird work, since these are the sole serviveing rwd cars other than the Impala. I've already paid to have the posi-unit installed and it's all ready to roll except for axles. I don't really wanna have to pay 500-600 hundred dollars for a set of custom made axles when the car(even though it has about 350HP) will never have a set of slicks or high grip tires on it. The axle width for my Monte is 27.25 inchs from the outside of wheel bearing to the end(the c-clip end) of the axle shaft. If someone who has a set of 28 splines axles laying around can measure them for me it will help alot. Much thanks for the input. Joooe