B+m 144 supercharger question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

B+m 144 supercharger question

I have a chance to obtain a B+M 144 supercharger setup for sbc, it comes with extra drive pulley and spare snout,new belts,gaskets,boost advance/retard vacuum for an h.e.i.boost gauges,and all the manuals... a customer brought it in on a 32 3 window I'm working on and the setup is for a long water pump,and the spare drive pulley and snout are for a long water pump also. I had this type of setup in the past, and have a good working knowledge of it. the blower itself looks great, I see no marks whatsoever in the Teflon and no scratches in the rotors and it seems to be in excellent shape. Now to the question.... I can see that the carb opening has been milled out to expose a larger area under the carb-originally, the area under the carb has a rectangle opening that tapers up to the carb base. I don"t know if the modification will hurt the performance/ruined the blower/or made and improvement?!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 AM

I had a 144 supercharger for years and it never gave me a minutes trouble. I sent it to B&M for a checkup after about 25K miles and only the teflon seals were changed.

The only potential problem I can see you might have is for a vacuum leak if too much material has been removed. Get yourself a carb to manifold gasket and have a look.

One more thing, the older 144's had a vent on the snout, the newer one didn't. If you happen to over fill the old units oil vents out and makes a huge mess......ask me how I know. Good luck.
ZAPPER
Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Calling Jim Davis!!!!

The modification did'nt affect the carb mounting surface, I'm just worried that the modification will hurt the boost/seal of the rotors. If b+m thought the carb opening would have benefited from opening up, why are the holley and weiand 144 blowers still manufactured with the small rectangle opening?!!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

are you talking about the square that the rotors ride against? if thats the case it whould reduce the amout of air it pumped.the way they figure size is with the rotors sealed at top and bottom.the space between them and the case is volume.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Yes, the opening on the stock supercharger under the carb is a rectangle @1/3rd the total area of the carb mounting pad in the center. Did this render the supercharger useless? Or at the very least, much less effective, or was it a good modification? I need a supercharger guru on this one!!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

B+M Junk Blower!!!

I think I found my answer!!! I found an original b+m technical manual and it states "A 2 lobe rots blower needs at least 180 degrees of rotor to housing contact per rotor to seal properly. removing the area cast beneath the carburetor will destroy this sealing. the supercharger will produce NO BOOST!!" I guess I will have to "pass" on this supercharger that now is nothing more than an engine decoration!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Thank god it's not ruined!!!!!!

I got a hands-on with the b+m supercharger. The machining work on the blower was only above the opening, It looks as if the prior owner only machined the opening beneath the carb! I can see the casting of the entire opening, and it has not been altered whatsoever! I'm going to "make the deal" and get this Supercharger for my next project! I would like to find a short drive pulley and snout assembly though!!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodderbn View Post
I think I found my answer!!! I found an original b+m technical manual and it states "A 2 lobe rots blower needs at least 180 degrees of rotor to housing contact per rotor to seal properly. removing the area cast beneath the carburetor will destroy this sealing. the supercharger will produce NO BOOST!!" I guess I will have to "pass" on this supercharger that now is nothing more than an engine decoration!!!!!!
hello there bud. do you still have your B&M tech manual?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Used superchargers (especially with any mods) is real iffy.
Why would anyone want to hog out the carb opening on the blower. Used blowers get offered for sale for a reason.
I'd just buy a new one.. The 177 Weiand blower makes a lot more power.

Old thread.... still good advice ..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.