B&M Holeshot converter opinions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

B&M Holeshot converter opinions

Hello again everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you here have ever ran a B&M Holeshot converter?

Some of you may remember the transmission woes I have been having. Well yesterday I snatched everything out. Basically the torque converter took a dump and started flaking metal into the transmission. Atleast the front pump in the transmission is broken, probably more, but my transmission guy hasn't had a chance to tear into it yet and tell for sure.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new somewhat affordable torque converter. As always and with everyone, I am looking for the best converter I can get cheaply, with a max price of 350ish dollars.

I was checking around, and came across the B&M Holeshot 3000. It advertises the stall range as 2800-3200, but it will usually stall higher than 3200 behind a big block (according to the B&M site.) My engine/cam combination call for a 2800 stall. B&M also has the Holeshot 2400, which advertises the stall range as 2300-2500, but it also says it will stall 200-300 RPM higher then that behind a big block (due to the amount of low end torque big blocks typically make).

My question is should I get the B&M 3000 for 360ish dollars and be stalling in the 3400 range, or get the Holeshot 2400 for 240 dollars and be stalling in the 2700ish range? This is purely a street car that will see no more than a couple track visits just to see what it does, so a 4000 or higher stall, etc. is out of the question.

I was reading on the TCI site, and it says the stall rating they give converters is based on a car having 250 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPMS. If you have less than that at 2500, it will stall less, or more at 2500 it will stall more. Well I ran my exact engine combo through desktop dyno which I realize isn't 100% accurate, but they had the motor producing 440 ft lbs at 2500 RPMS.

Right now I am leaning towards the 2400 Holeshot, but I was wondering if I run the risk of breaking the converter due to "overstalling" or something it there is such a thing.

I hope you guys understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks a ton and any input you guys have is most appreciated.

Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 11:07 AM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObs71Nova
Hello again everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you here have ever ran a B&M Holeshot converter?

Some of you may remember the transmission woes I have been having. Well yesterday I snatched everything out. Basically the torque converter took a dump and started flaking metal into the transmission. Atleast the front pump in the transmission is broken, probably more, but my transmission guy hasn't had a chance to tear into it yet and tell for sure.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new somewhat affordable torque converter. As always and with everyone, I am looking for the best converter I can get cheaply, with a max price of 350ish dollars.

I was checking around, and came across the B&M Holeshot 3000. It advertises the stall range as 2800-3200, but it will usually stall higher than 3200 behind a big block (according to the B&M site.) My engine/cam combination call for a 2800 stall. B&M also has the Holeshot 2400, which advertises the stall range as 2300-2500, but it also says it will stall 200-300 RPM higher then that behind a big block (due to the amount of low end torque big blocks typically make).

My question is should I get the B&M 3000 for 360ish dollars and be stalling in the 3400 range, or get the Holeshot 2400 for 240 dollars and be stalling in the 2700ish range? This is purely a street car that will see no more than a couple track visits just to see what it does, so a 4000 or higher stall, etc. is out of the question.

I was reading on the TCI site, and it says the stall rating they give converters is based on a car having 250 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPMS. If you have less than that at 2500, it will stall less, or more at 2500 it will stall more. Well I ran my exact engine combo through desktop dyno which I realize isn't 100% accurate, but they had the motor producing 440 ft lbs at 2500 RPMS.

Right now I am leaning towards the 2400 Holeshot, but I was wondering if I run the risk of breaking the converter due to "overstalling" or something it there is such a thing.

I hope you guys understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks a ton and any input you guys have is most appreciated.

Rob
Whatever you decide
make sure you run a proper sized trans cooler
Old 08-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

My SBC 400 puts out around 500 ft./lbs of torque. I am running a Tork Master 2,400 in it. So far it has held up.

I have a Holeshot 2,800-3,200 in my Ranchero. It is holding up well also.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Thanks alot for the responses guys.

The car already has a really good "Hughes" Tranny cooler.

I was also looking at the TorkMaster converters, but everything I read about them say they are not made to go behind big blocks.

Thanks for the input guys,

Rob
Old 08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObs71Nova
Thanks alot for the responses guys.

The car already has a really good "Hughes" Tranny cooler.

I was also looking at the TorkMaster converters, but everything I read about them say they are not made to go behind big blocks.

Thanks for the input guys,

Rob
So many to choose from..........
GOOD LUCK,bro

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.