B&M supercharger...how much boost? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2002, 10:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post B&M supercharger...how much boost?

I just got my new engine (Chevy 355) running with a B&M 144 blower and was wondering how much boost can I run with one of these? I'm running a pretty stout bottom end...steel crank, forged low compression pistons, Eagle rods, copper head gasket, 4 bolt mains, moly rings and a blower cam. At present I'm running it with the standard top pulley which puts it at around 4 or 5 lbs of boost. Can I run it with 8 or 9 lbs using octane booster and maybe water injection? Anyone running one of these or even the Weiand mini-blower?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2002, 07:29 AM
Twin Turbo Drag Boat

Last journal entry: Random In Progress Shots

Wink

Depends on your cam. You need one with 114 lobe seperation.

I ran one a while back. Was only able to get about 6 lbs from it turning it as fast as it would go.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:41 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Smile

Marcus,
I love these supercharged motors. I haven't worked with the B&M however. Your motor sounds strong enough to use what ever they have to offer. Hopefully you don't have too much compression 8:1 Use the octane stuff at higher boost levels. This really isn't the biggest blower in the world but I would think it would put out 8-10 psi on a 355. Increasing the overdrive % will help the low end but you may find the top end boost will drop off as the od % gets higher. One thing to be aware of....exhaust is everything on blowen motors. You can be fooled if you have a restrictive exhaust. The boost will go up but output at the rear wheels stays the same or goes down!! What is happening is that the exhaust gases can't get out of the cylinders fast enough and remain as partially filled cylinders. Adding the forced intake increases the boost reading but cylinder contamination causes reduced power. Complicated but true. I have a T-Bird SC with the factory Eaton blower. Exhaust is the most important thing on these cars. Often adding a good exhaust system will reduce the boost reading!! At the same time HP and Torque increase!! So concentrate your efforts from here to improving the exhaust. There is no tuning effect on supercharged motors..the blower blows it in and some of it out. The pipes simply put it in a convient dumping place.
good luck and have fun. keep us posted.
bentwings
Old 11-29-2002, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

At the moment I am building my own 3 inch exhaust using mandrel bends in anticipation of future performance gains. I have planned and designed every aspect of this engine specifically for this model blower and according to B&M (now Holley)I can easily make 500 hp and still use a stock flat hood. I'm using their 10 rib pulleys and have redesigned the tensioner so as to reduce belt slippage. Lobe separation is 114 degrees by the way but as with most supercharger cam profiles is not too crazy with only .488/.465 lift (dual patterned) with more lift on exhaust.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« K&N FIPK | engines »