B&M Trans/kit anybody done an Install? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

B&M Trans/kit anybody done an Install?

Just curious if anyone installed a trans kit for a 700R4 from B&M?? My 350 will be pushing 350 to 400hp when done, but it will be in a heavy 66 Chev truck. They have a kit that gives you step by step instructions. Or is there another kit by someone else that is good to install. Pros and cons would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

I used the B&M racing master overhaul kit on my th350 in my old mud drag truck. First time I ever did one. It was pretty clear. I also had a Haynes manual for the trans on hand for the clarity of pictures and a more detailed view. Don't know if this helps. The trans was great afterwards. Abused it for 4yrs after that and never blew it.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Worked Good Eh

Well I'm glad I heard from a first timer, it's encouraging. I got this 700R4 from a 84 Grand National and I'm mating it with a rear end from a 96 firebird with 3:43 gears with posi. I just don't want to install the trans and it not be strong enough to handle the increased HP and torque compared to the HP the Grand National had. Plus the heavier truck too. Thanks for the info and I will most likely go with the trans kit if I don't hear from anyone else with problems installing the kit. Thanks again
Old 11-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by budthespud
Well I'm glad I heard from a first timer, it's encouraging. I got this 700R4 from a 84 Grand National and I'm mating it with a rear end from a 96 firebird with 3:43 gears with posi. I just don't want to install the trans and it not be strong enough to handle the increased HP and torque compared to the HP the Grand National had. Plus the heavier truck too. Thanks for the info and I will most likely go with the trans kit if I don't hear from anyone else with problems installing the kit. Thanks again

IF you are talking about a tranny from a Buick Grand National turbo'd V-6 car......... they did not come from GM with a t-700 tranny. I believe they used a 200-4r trans in the Buick Grand National cars.

I could be mistaken
Old 11-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Well Duh???

Ya know what you are absolutely correct. So would this be a good trans to use?? It fit on the 350 cu yesterday and measured it for location in the frame. Let me know. I'm doing this project pretty much on my own and I don't really have anyone to ask. Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The TH-200-4R has a more desireable gear spread than the 700, the biggest gripe among GN/Regal/MCSS owners about the 700 is the 1-2 gear bog. It also usually came with the mounting holes for both the B-O-P-C bolt pattern AND the Chevy bolt pattern.

These can be built to hold nicely but you are going to give it more weight with the truck than it was originally intended for.

The best thing you can do for it is match the rest of the drivetrain parts accordingly, the most important thing would be gears of around 3.73, and tires around 26 inches tall. The kit for the transmisson is generally known to be well worth the money no matter which company sold it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

I Agree It's Heavier

Ya that was my concern with the trans was the wieght and the added torque and power. I was in the B&M website and they didn't offer the same kit as they do the 700. They have a TransPak and a Shiftkit. The thing is the truck will be used more for cruising and I won't be hard on it. I have a 74 Firebird 400 and I put it through the paces. This truck is going to be for me and the wife to enjoy. Thanks for the response M&M.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.