Back to bother you about coil springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Back to bother you about coil springs

I am looking to change the coil springs on my 1962 cadillac but I am trying to avoid $295 replacements plus I want to raise the car an inch or two because i seem to scrape the bottom of the damned thing everywhere i go (roads around here aren't the greatest quality.) As long as I match the I.D., load rate and the length of the coils, can I purchase modern springs off say an escalade or truck? Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Springs should ALWAYS be changed in sets........

1958 to 1964 Cadillac springs interchange. But there are different spring rates for different models.......I would NOT be surprised to find that your springs have sagged and with a new set of springs.........the ride height would be restored....

If you Cadillac is a 2 door......find some 4 door springs. If you have a 4 door.....find a hearse... I believe that the 59's would weigh more than the 62....so the spring rate would be higher. Also.....if your car is not a A/C equipped car.......find a Cadillac with A/C .....the springs were heavier from the factory. Heavier rate springs will lift the car ride height.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:

So are you suggesting I only replace my springs with other cadillacs between 58 and 64? I am just trying to find out what my options look like. Very few, if any, companies produce any springs other than stock for these years. Match the ID, Load Height, load rate and I can switch? or just stick to stock....?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

[QUOTE=rbfpezcore]
As long as I match the I.D., load rate and the length of the coils, can I purchase modern springs off say an escalade or truck?
QUOTE]

Obviously if they are the same dimensions and rate then they are the same springs.

Your consideration seems to be "dragging the bottom".

Have you considered your tire diameter? Yours needed 8.50 (85 series) x 15 bias ply tires that were about 30 inches or more in static diameter. Today's tires are NOT the same rolling diameter as those from 40 years ago. You most likely will need an SUV tire for your car, and still it will be a radial that in itself will be at least 1/2 inch shorter rolling radius than a bias ply.

If you could find a 31 x 10.50 SUV tire and measure it, and compare to what you have.... that might be what you need for your car.

What I am saying is that if your tires are too small, new springs might be a waste of money.

Last edited by xntrik; 12-03-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.