Back in the Day------ - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Back in the Day------

Hi Guys and Gals!
Here's a quick look into the past at a different style of HotRodding. Here's a neat video of Bruce Meyer latest acquisition, the 1929 "Miss Daytona" Hydroplane racing boat. It was one of the "Biggies" in it's day. Meyer if you aren't familiar is a collector and Bonneville addict. He drives everything in his collection.
To me the most interesting thing about this beautiful boat is it's wonderful engine. It's a supercharged 151 c.i. Miller! Everybody has heard or knows about Offies but Miller was the guy who first developed that engine. Fred Offenhauser worked for Miller and later bought the rights to the engine. He went on to develop it further.
I wish I had the bucks that Meyer has, I'd have one too!

If you want to know a little more about the boat read the article that is with Autoweeks video

Enjoy!!

BB

Classic boat video of Bruce Meyer and the 1929 Miss Daytona Miller-powered step hydroplane - Autoweek

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (09-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
OMG I have either touched that very boat in a private collection I have been to a couple of times or one very similar. I was able to go to this private collection in a guys "garage" in La Honda across the bay back a number of years ago when an old racer my brother knew Max Balchoski was going to this get together and invited us. The guy had an AMAZING collection of everything from a few year old Indy car to a Stanley Steamer to a Crocker to this boat. I was looking at this piece of art like in a museum when I saw that there was a current registration sticker on it! He drove one of his cars and motorcycles daily, and had just had the boat in the water. But it looked just like this, the seat at the back was just wild! It had a Miller as I remember and was a 1929 as I remember.

Brian
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
OMG I have either touched that very boat in a private collection I have been to a couple of times or one very similar. I was able to go to this private collection in a guys "garage" in La Honda across the bay back a number of years ago when an old racer my brother knew Max Balchoski was going to this get together and invited us. The guy had an AMAZING collection of everything from a few year old Indy car to a Stanley Steamer to a Crocker to this boat. I was looking at this piece of art like in a museum when I saw that there was a current registration sticker on it! He drove one of his cars and motorcycles daily, and had just had the boat in the water. But it looked just like this, the seat at the back was just wild! It had a Miller as I remember and was a 1929 as I remember.

Brian
You probably saw it when Tom Mittler owned it. Mittler passed and Meyer bought it.
Your a lucky dog!

BB
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Neat. I heard Miss Daytona had gotten sold but didn't know who bought her.

As close is I will ever get to owning something simmilar is if I build a Cracker box and one is on my radar to build eventually
Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
Neat. I heard Miss Daytona had gotten sold but didn't know who bought her.

As close is I will ever get to owning something simmilar is if I build a Cracker box and one is on my radar to build eventually
Just beautiful. I love wooden power boats.

BB
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Understand BB I'm not saying that WAS the boat I saw, but damn it could have been. The guy who owned it was named Marshall Mathews...............

OMG I just did a search to see if I could find this guys collection and I did, and it WAS the boat in your video! HOLY CRAP!

On top of this "garage" where these cars were was a black bottom swimming pool, yeah, he had a few bucks.

Check it out! http://www.prowleronline.com/scrapbo...iew.php?id=231

Here's another article on him. A Man's Garage Is His Castle, All 4,700 Square Feet of It - NYTimes.com

Yep, to say I being able to go to his guys house and live the life for a few hours was a treasure of mine would be about right.

Brian
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Very interesting indeed Brian. I remember his name so I did a little digging. Mr. Mathews made his fortune by owning a Body Shop! If you saw the collection from that link you supplied I jealous that you got to see a Bugatti "Tank" car! I believe it was on a Type 25 chassis. One of the very first Aerodynamically designed cars. Pretty rare. Here's a link to Mathew's story.

BB

A man in full: Woodside's Marshall Mathews battles a deadly disease with indefatigable spirit (February 19, 2003)
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

BB, I took some pictures when I went to that collection but this was pre-digital and I am not sure where I have them. But that place was wild! The city has an ordinance limiting the size of the building you can build on your property, it doesn't matter how much property you have. I think it was a 2000 sf limit, you could have a number of them, but they could't be any bigger than 2000 and they couldn't be any closer together than 50ft or something like that so people wouldn't put them right next to one another making a 6000ft building out of three. So this Marshal Mathews built these two buildings next to one another into the hill side with fifty feet (it may have been a hundred, I forget) gap with a tunnel connecting them! They both had like an office up above the cars with a balcony over looking the cars below. As I mentioned it had a black bottom pool up on the top between the two offices, with copper roofs over the buildings. It was stunning, absolutely stunning. The guy had art on the walls of these "garages" that he could have bought and sold me with. I remember some amazing collections of hood ornaments and a large painting of Stirling Moss' car signed by him!

As we were looking at these cars he had a story for everyone that was of course awesome. As we were looking at a 1928 Indian (as I remember) inline four motorcycle I commented on how cool it must sound. He didn't bat an eye swung his leg over the bike and kicked it two or three times and it fired up. He had ridden it to work that day!

He said the motor stopped at some point on the way home and he was pushing it down the road when a neighbor came by with a truck and they hauled it to his house.

I will never forget that place, it was an amazing experience to be able to join that group. It was a private collection tour they were on.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.