Hot Rod Forum banner

Back in the Day

16K views 149 replies 24 participants last post by  496CHEVY3100 
#1 ·
Remember this ,any one wih some Old photos , Mechanical related autos trucks motorcycles etc.post them here

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wood Bros

Believe it or no - the Wood Bros made their over the wall crew take BALLET LESSONS to improve their choreography in servicing the car.

Wood Bros were also hired to pit Indy cars because of their incredible (for the time) ability to get`a car in and out quicker than anyone else.

#5 ·
I was watching a documentary narrated by Kyle Petty ,he said before the Woods brothers a normal pit stop 4 tires and gas was 5-10 minutes,the drivers even got out of the cars during piy stops,they showed some old clips they were just walking normal speed rolling tires one at a time ,( some didn't even change tires )

Attachments

#12 ·

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

#15 ·
Chevy 3100 I don't want you to think you've bottomed out with gas prices. At 85 I formerly lived in Clarence NY out side of Buffalo NY. 5 gal. For a buck and during price wars going on all the x 6 gal. For a buck( 17 cents a gal. Used to cat around Miami all winter 2 bags grocers 5$. One x I compared no. Candy bars you could buy for min. Wage then and now. Not much difference. Poor comparison but a for ex. Carr

#19 ·
Thanks for the reply,, I worked part time 4-11
after my regular job 7-3 when I first got married to get extra money for a house ,,it was a HOOD station we sold gas for .25 all other stations were .28 and for that price we checked the oil washed the windows Pumped the gas full service and would check the air in you tires if they looked low ,All for a quarter a gallon, all with a smile and a Thanks come back again ,,TRY getting any of that now,,If they can speak English they take your nearly $4 a gallon and don't even speak at most places,:confused::confused:

#20 ·
For the good old days

Chevy 3100 I don't know how old you are but at 85 I am well aware of what
you speak.You used to get every thing but body work. Another thing about the old days if some body called to sell you something it was during the week at reasonable hours(no nights no week ends no holidays ) and like the gas station
Nobody speaks English that you can understand. I feel sorry for the people from India who speak English with a strong accent which is a turn off and you can't
Understand them so that I doubt they sell anything. A bad deal for them and I would think a waste for the owner/seller and me. Carr

#21 ·
Heck nowadays they wont even let kids under 18 yrs. old pump gas here in Oregon! I was 15 when I started working at the Atlantic Ritchfield station, and by the time I was 16 and driving, I was tuning cars in the station's garage, and doing brake jobs. In the mornings before school I worked in the local bakery flipping donuts in the deep fryer, and then off to school! I made $2.00 an hr. at the gas station, and $1.60 an hr. at the bakery. Worked about 55-60 hrs a week, and had more money to spend than most the rich kids who got theirs from daddy! Gas was in the .21-.23 cent range, and my '57 Chevy was pretty healthy, so only got about 10 mpg. I didn't care much, as between work and school, all I had time to do was drive my car, so I had plenty of gas money.
Yep, those were the days!

#22 ·
*** buster

Willing to bet you did well for your self . Unless you inherit or hit the lottery

hard work is usually the secret.Hard workers usually have a history of hard work.
I came from a small town, grew up in the 30s( depression).worked for farmers,shoveled snow,sold things door to door, had only 11/2yr college, ended up with 40rental units,labor rep.Mgr. Industrial relations. Arbitrator/Mediator.ran70,000$ into 370,000$ in stock market and blew it all(stupid pig) lots vacant land .Not hard just 16 plus hrs/day,7 days/ wk and just sold out this year.wanted things better for my kids than I had so gave a 4 way split.3 kids plus grandson.They all worked jobs. Carr

#23 ·
Willing to bet you did well for your self . Unless you inherit or hit the lottery

hard work is usually the secret.Hard workers usually have a history of hard work.
I came from a small town, grew up in the 30s( depression).worked for farmers,shoveled snow,sold things door to door, had only 11/2yr college, ended up with 40rental units,labor rep.Mgr. Industrial relations. Arbitrator/Mediator.ran70,000$ into 370,000$ in stock market and blew it all(stupid pig) lots vacant land .Not hard just 16 plus hrs/day,7 days/ wk and just sold out this year.wanted things better for my kids than I had so gave a 4 way split.3 kids plus grandson.They all worked jobs. Carr
Well I'm not rich Carr, but was able to retire early at 60, and enjoy life now. We've always planned and looked forward to retirement when we could be comfortable, and reward ourselves for all the years of working.
As I got closer to retirement age, I started looking at our investments, and where we stood, and told myself, "Why keep working, and maybe not have as many years to enjoy life?"
I could have worked a few more years, but looking back on all the fun I've had these last 4 years, I almost wish I'd retired even earlier!

#24 ·
I also pumped Fuel instead of gas on my first full time after school job at 14 worked ar Twin Tanks Truck Stop ,,still in business exept now different name I pumped fuel to the trucks and call the desk on an intercom with amount ,Didn't have to handle money:D 1 less thing to worry about ,then when I turned 16 started cutting pulp wood ,if any one knows what that is ,(hard work ) but it payed better ,1 load after school ajd 3 loads on Saturday,but it helped me trade my car that my Dad bought me Brand X for one that I wanted 55 Chevy HT.

Wonder how it got its name

Attachments

#29 ·
No down time

Managed to do it again. Had this message filled and lost it. What a klutz! False impression had I 15yr mortgages when paid hired some help.While paying mort.
did everything myself,no$.Like your cars .tell me about them.Did you race?
I'm here because my kid brother Peter Magel raced a 52 studebaker "The Maggot" Eastern US and Canada. Seldom beaten.I lived fa r away and didn't know what he was doing. I bought him a garage where he did some repair work
But mostly on his stude another stude and a Hudson. Feel guilty didn't do more
no trailer had to drive Maggot to races. Drove to Nationals at Indy and ran 2nd.
When they did away with lower classes ,his whole life,went deeply depressed
And in nursing home until he died Aug,11 2014. I got here along with Yellow Bullet, Studebaker Club,HAMB, Club Hot Rod,etc pulling his history for myself.pi

#30 ·
Managed to do it again. Had this message filled and lost it. What a klutz! False impression had I 15yr mortgages when paid hired some help.While paying mort.
did everything myself,no$.Like your cars .tell me about them.Did you race?
I'm here because my kid brother Peter Magel raced a 52 studebaker "The Maggot" Eastern US and Canada. Seldom beaten.I lived fa r away and didn't know what he was doing. I bought him a garage where he did some repair work
But mostly on his stude another stude and a Hudson. Feel guilty didn't do more
no trailer had to drive Maggot to races. Drove to Nationals at Indy and ran 2nd.
When they did away with lower classes ,his whole life,went deeply depressed
And in nursing home until he died Aug,11 2014. I got here along with Yellow Bullet, Studebaker Club,HAMB, Club Hot Rod,etc pulling his history for myself.pi
Yeah, I raced a '71 BBC 427 Camaro for 16 years. Thus the username I have. I owned the car for 40 years, and just sold it last year. My cars are a old '46 Austin gasser with 355 Chevy, full manual TH350, narrowed Pontiac rear. '63 Falcon gasser with .040" over 454, ST10 4 speed, Ford rear. And my daily driver, a '69 Chev Suburban with 350, TH400, and pretty much stock, except big wide ralley wheels all around.

#37 ·
I was a little luckier than most. I had a friend that owned a gas station and I use to drop off what ever I was driving at the time at his station. He and I would go to lunch in his car and when we came back low and behold my tank was full!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.