back to my 302, I need a few answers.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Old'n'young

Wiki Edits: 0

back to my 302, I need a few answers..

what would a good recomandation be for heads. I have $800.00. should I go 2.02 1.60z? some aftermarket aluminum heads, or would the high reving 302 not be a good idea, maybe higher rpm block would warp the allminum? should I get a set of orginal 350 horse 300 horse what ever hump heads, should I just save up and get the orginal z 28 heads? This is my question.

another question, is their any way a harmonic balancer could be put on crooked and what would be the effects if so?

also admidst the heads cracking I put on a used water pump in a burger king parking lot from a 85 scottsdale 305, and it fit on and ran fine. Anything wrong with that running it temporarily? I shortly followed by putting on the power pack heads, rated at 12.5:1 or something?

The ****ty thing is admidst all this trouble I did run it hot cause the car did not have a temp gauge, and me being 18 at the time could not afford gauge or new heads etc. I was out on my own when all this miss fortune happend so youll have to excuse my jimmy rigging, I was just trying to get the car from minnepolis to galena ill so i could park it at my grandfathers..when i was going down i 35 with the power pack heads on it it wouldnt go above 50 mph with the pedal to the floor and definatly sounded far from health..plus when i got down there I pulled the valve cover to see a rocker sitting there and a busted rocker stud..a bent rod etc..

now the engine is on a stand with the cam and lifters pulled new seals and orginal 30/30 cam and lifters, they tell me the engine is in still great shape minus the heads wich i took to a machie shop to have re plained and a new stud put in, they said the valves were in good shape but were suken in from the unleaded gas and i dont feel like paying a 100s a head to have that problem fixed if Im not going to put those heads back on it..

so whats a good reconmondation? I need heads. I threw 2000 in it in the last month, new edelbrock performer rpm intake, chromed out edelbrock 750 carb, (not tuned to the engine yet, duh) vintage set of hooker headers (black) new cap rotor, new radiator, hoses, and a few other goodies. Now i need a set of heads, so whatcha got for ideas for me? And if you live close to the tri state area you got anything awesome stting in your garage you want to get rid of is what it boils down too. I have 800.

thanks Naythan
sorry about all these threads.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 PM

A few suggestions...

Ditch the 30/30- you most likely won't have the compression to run it and if you do, you'll be adding race gas. Plus even if you have the race gas and the compression, you'll barely get into that cam's operating range on the street unless you have a deep gear. Get a cheap elgin hydralic.

Have u taken apart the shortblock? Or has it been rebuilt? If a engine has ran in an overheated environment for very long, in my experience, cast rings don't seem to hold up that well and pretty soon you'll see some blue smoke.

Get a new harmonic balancer.

Water pump, if it works- so be it.

heads for $800... RHS Torker 2.02 - Iron should be around $700 assembled at competitionproducts.com Aluminum for under $800? - Google Tri-State cylinder heads, they make an aluminum 180cc 2.02 valve head, I think you can get a pair or just under $800 assembled or go to enginekits.com, look up chevy cylinder heads, there's a set of aluminum 190cc heads for under $800 assembled. (the Elgin line of cams are at also listed at competitonproducts.com and enginekits.com)
Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 AM

Last photo:

go on ebay check out sbc heads skipwhite will comeup in there. i bought some of these they are great for the money.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
now the engine is on a stand with
Ayuh,.... That's Great,....

So,... Tell Us what the Block Build #s are,....

In All of the Bazillion threads you've got going about this Same Motor
You've Still not answered the Question posed to you.....
What are the #s,..???????

As noted in Most of your other Bazillion threads,....
The Odds are Great that this Isn't a 302, At All

Unless you can provide the Exact Info about your motor,...
All these Questions are just Wasting the time of the knowledgeable folks here trying to Help you....

We all love to Help,...
But,..
With Wishful Info,... It's a Waste....
Old 12-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Naythan Oldskool-

Member Bondo pegged it in his previous post..

If you are here to ask questions, that is what this site is here for.

But if you are asked a question, you MUST answer it......

Telling us that you changed a water pump in the burger king parking lot, or "threw 2000 at it last month" has nothing to do with your questions...and we are not impressed.

You will get better answers if you stay on the posted topic, and get some REAL facts about what you have before you start dreaming...

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.