Hot Rod Forum banner

Back to QJet

727 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  curtis73 
#1 ·
I am going back to a Qjet on my 72 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. I currently have an Edelbrock carb and performer EPS manifold. I have a one inch square bore spacer on it. Should I leave the spacer and add the 1" spread bore to square bore conversion plate or just use the conversion plate. I'm sure I have the clearance. Will I get more torque?

The reason I am switching is to try to get a little better fuel economy and maybe pick up a little performance when pulling my trailer up a grade. It has a stock cam, roller tip rocker, ceramic coated headers and MSD ignition.

#3 ·
I wouldn't stack them. Also, don't look for big gains. Adapting a qjet to a square intake often negates the benefits of the qjet. The adapter has to so radically change the paths of the intake charge on both sides that it can have very negative effects on how it operates.

#5 ·
Right, but the adapter to put a Qjet on an EPS requires radically reducing the size of the secondaries while increasing the size of the primaries in addition to radically changing direction of all four holes. It can have very adverse affects on how well the Qjet gets vacuum signal and therefore operation.

Doesn't matter if its a 4-hole, a 2-hole, or an open plenum manifold. The Qjet adapters CAN be a bad thing. Some have had no problems with them, but more often than not people report terrible trouble with them.

Best thing is to probably try them both. Do some zero-60 runs with and without the extra plate. Every engine is a bit different and what works on one doesn't on another when it comes to plates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.