Back Tacking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Back Tacking

I'm wondering if there are two acceptable methods to back tacking. I have this new juki dnu-1541 machine that I've been practicing on and I'm getting fairly decent at pedal modulation (clutch motor) and sewing control. My problem is that I end up sewing a few too many stiches at the very beginning and I lose the opportunity to back tack because I've gone too far in the fabric. I find that I actually have more control on the machine when I don't have to worry about back tacking at all. I'm sure a servo motor would solve the problem all together, but at this point, I would like to work 'with the machine' rather than 'around the machine'.

So I'm wondering if a possible back tacking alternative would be to put the needle approximately 1/4" into the fabric, hold the reverse lever down, then release when the needle comes to the end, and finally continuing on sewing the piece?

As opposed to starting the machine from the very end, sewing a few stitches, reversing, and finally sewing the rest of the piece.

Are either methods acceptable?

Thanks again.

Doug

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Yes, you can start the machine in reverse, but there again, you're working around the machine instead of working with the machine, and you're creating the possibility of a bigger problem. If you start in reverse and go too far you could jam the machine. If you ever get thread caught under the bobbin case it will be much worse than back stitching a little too far. It's not a difficult repair, but it is delicate and time consuming to remove the bobbin case and clear the jam. If the machine is a little too fast for you, and you don't want to get a servo motor, put a smaller pulley on the clutch motor until you have it mastered, and then you can change back if you want too. If you do that, you will need a longer belt, but belts and pulleys are cheap and available at the local hardware store.

I sew every day for a living. I changed all 3 of my machines over to servo motors. I had no problems with the clutch motors, but for precise sewing why worry about the machine when you can concentrate solely on what you're sewing? I can set my servos to slowly sew one stitch at a time with the foot pedal full on, or anything in between. I rarely ever change speeds, but it's nice to know that I have that option. Also, not having to listen to those clutch motors running all day was more than worth it to me to change.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-10-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Yes, you can start the machine in reverse, but there again, you're working around the machine instead of working with the machine, and you're creating the possibility of a bigger problem. If you start in reverse and go too far you could jam the machine. If you ever get thread caught under the bobbin case it will be much worse than back stitching a little too far. It's not a difficult repair, but it is delicate and time consuming to remove the bobbin case and clear the jam. If the machine is a little too fast for you, and you don't want to get a servo motor, put a smaller pulley on the clutch motor until you have it mastered, and then you can change back if you want too. If you do that, you will need a longer belt, but belts and pulleys are cheap and available at the local hardware store.

I sew every day for a living. I changed all 3 of my machines over to servo motors. I had no problems with the clutch motors, but for precise sewing why worry about the machine when you can concentrate solely on what you're sewing? I can set my servos to slowly sew one stitch at a time with the foot pedal full on, or anything in between. I rarely ever change speeds, but it's nice to know that I have that option. Also, not having to listen to those clutch motors running all day was more than worth it to me to change.
Good points. I have pretty good control but it's just usually the intial start that I have to modulate at times. I went out and tried what I proposed above this morning before work and it seemed to work fairly well. I may go buy a smaller pulley for kicks and see how that works out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug
Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

I went out today and purchased a new pulley about 1.25 - 1.5" inside diameter or so. The pulley that came off was 2.5" inside diameter. The pulley has slowed the machine down quite a bit and allowed me to gain more control on the initial start.

While I was at it, I brought out router speed control box that I had and tested it on the sewing machine. These boxes work with brush type AC motors. I was able to further slow the machine down if need be with that device. I don't think I'll need it at this point, but interesting nonetheless.

Doug
Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The motor on your sewing machine is not an AC brush type motor, it is meant to run at full speed. If you run that motor at slow speeds for any length of time, it won't be able to cool itself and you will burn it out. To run an AC motor at slow speeds you need an inverter type speed control, not a router variable speed control.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.