Back up on the dyno. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM
JDM V7 STi (sorta)

Wiki Edits: 0

Back up on the dyno.

Hey guys. Just thought I'd check in as I have a few slow minutes here at work

Weekend before last I went back up on the dyno for 3 pulls with no tuning. It was a dyno-day sponsored by Subaru of Dallas and Forced-Induction Systems (the shop that owns the dyno). I have to say, I impressed myself. It was 98 degrees in the dyno bay with 50% humidity and I still put down 291hp and 290tq to the wheels.

I guess I cheated a little bit - I threw a gallon of Toluene in the thank along with a fill-up of 93 octane. I'd guess it was a net total of close to 95 octane. Not race gas by any means, but enough that the car REALLY ran good I also cranked the boost up to 17.5psi which is not pushing it at all, but higher than what I run on the street, normally.

Should be good for 12's. I'm going to put a Front-Mount intercooler on the car in a couple months and go for 300+ at the wheels. Wish me luck!!

(The spike in power came from a boost spike. My electronic boost controller was still trying to learn how to make 17.5psi using it's fuzzy logic. It would have been a smooth curve if I'd taken a day or 2 to let it learn the boost before hand). And yes...thats 2.0 liters of 4-bangin' fury

You can download a video clip of the run here. (Quicktime required)

Peace,
MK2

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

SO, why would you take valuable time out of your day to dyno test your moms rice-burning grocery getter?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

thats pretty impressive for a 4 banger. what kind of car is that again
Old 06-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'm tired of people dissing imports. Not you thing, fine, but dont diss them. Big difference between tuners and ricers. Ricers put stickers on their car and fake spoilers. Tuners put their money into the engine and where it counts. I've seen tuners run 9 seconds in the quarter mild out of a freakin' 4 banger. The whole car was built for less than $20k. Now I'd like to see someone build a SBC 9 second car for 20k. If you can do it great, my biggest respect to you. But 9 second cars are hard to build, and usually very much $$$ involved. When I saw a small 2. something litre engine run the 1/4 in a flat 9 I was amazed. Tuners are like rodders. They just use a different platform to build on. Now the car long time hr.com member MK2 posted is DEFINITELY not a grocery getter, nor a ricer. If I had the money to throw myself into a Subaru and get 300+ horsepower out of it I sure as heck would do it.
I know a lot of you are really opinoinated about imports, but hot rodding was started when people wanted to go faster, improve perforance of their cars. When it started they used current vehicles, same with the tuners nowadays. They use new cars to make 'em go faster.

Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Nightfire]I'm tired of people dissing imports.

I know I don't really care!
Buy one and tune into the riceburner sites.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

hey nightfire, I dont believe no one dissed them ( yet )

I think barry was just kidding around
Old 06-01-2005, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

I would have to agree 100% with nightfire. Tuners and ricers are two totaly serpate ends of the spectrum. Who are you to say that this subaru isn't a hotrod. I'd think at 52 you'd have something a little more mature to say than "Buy one and tune into the riceburner sites."
Dave
Old 06-01-2005, 12:28 PM
JDM V7 STi (sorta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
SO, why would you take valuable time out of your day to dyno test your moms rice-burning grocery getter?
Post your dyno plot if your car is faster than my grocery getter :-P

I've got a long history on this site, Barry. Do a search and you'll see that I'm well respected around here.

Silentlion - It's a Subaru Impreza WRX. Thanks for the props

Nightfire - Thanks for backing me up. You're right - I agree that there's a difference between ricers and tuners. I like to think I'm a tuner as every modification that's on my car was installed with my own 2 hands in my garage.

Peace,
MK2
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Thats pretty imresive.. my friend has a dodge srt4 with about the same hp

289.2 FWHP Corrected
294.6 FWTQ Corrected

ratings/ torque ratings.. i dunno if u say ur cars gonna run 12's id say low 13's, but thats me.. here is a pic of his dyno.. what are ur mods?.. his mods are

Perrin STS
Perrin rear 22mm sway bar
Eibach springs
Stage 1 injectors
AGP wastegate
Taylor Red 8.5MM plug wires
NGK plugs
K&N Typhoon intake
HKS BOV
Motor Mount inserts

Note this is on all stock internals and stock turbo.. with stock exhaust. and an intake

Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Gotta agree with nightfire here. The worlds of old and new are seperated by only years and types of cars. Now no one is doing a resto. job on these cars yet but some are building them. Back in the old muscle car days there were people who only built cars for looks and did lots of talking just like today. There are really 3 diffrent groups of people
1. Tuner-Person who takes import/"newer" car and upgrades engine, susp., drivetrain
2. Import builder - People who just love imports and make cars LOOK uuhh "diffrent"
3. Ricer- The stain on the dress of all import crowd... Makes car LOOK fast but does not know how to really do it, talks like their car IS fast, Knows little about their cars...

Nice #'s by the way for the weight of that car it had better be putting some good power down!

Chris
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

sorry for the size.. but hey.. i think thats pretty daym frickin good for a 4 banger.. lets see u run this dude or the subaru at the track.. im sure they will both get a jump on u.. not to mention the subaru wrx is all wheel drive.. and so u know its only a 5 speed (right?) inless u want to run its older brother the sti.. that has a 6 seed..

lol.. Nos
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I agree there is a big difference between ricers and tuners. I don't really care for imports much myself, but I only make fun of the ones that turn there care into a joke! But I do think some of those tuners like Mk2's would be cool to have, it would be like a sleeper, everyone would think your a ricer but if you run them on the dragstrip, youd end up winning.
But if I saw an import that could run 9sec 1/4 and that the owner did all the work himself, beleive me Ill respect him just like someone with a '67 vette. So IMO opinion there is nothing wrong with a tuner as long as it doesn't look goofy and the owner doesn't make an idiot of himself.
Of course I would try and show respect to a ricer with the coffee can and wing by trying not to laugh in there face.

Brad
Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM
JDM V7 STi (sorta)

Your friend makes great numbers for a stock turbo. He also has 20% more displacement than I do

As for the 1/4 mile time guesstimate: considering with AWD I should be able to rip off 1.7 60' times (if I can drive it) as opposed to a FWD car which would be doing good to grab 1.9-2.0 on street tires. Thats why I say I think I can snag a high 12-second timeslip. We'll see

My mods:
JDM VF30 Turbo (From the bugeye WRX STi in Japan)
JDM 565cc injectors (Same as above)
JDM Top-Mount Intercooler (SAB)
Gruppe-S catless uppipe
ATR PitBull Turbo-Back exhaust (3" all the way - no cats)
Unichip piggyback EM - dyno tuned
A'PEXi AVC-R boost controller
Stock intake with K&N drop in (didn't do crap for power - at least I don't have to replace the filter)
Homemade I/C spray
JDM STi Version 7 44mm inverted struts
JDM lowering springs - about the same rates as STi pinks
JDM STi S202 CF spoiler (shut up. I like it )
O.Z. Superleggera 18x8 wheels (18lbs each!) with 225/45-18 Kumho MX's.
JDM Black Chrome HID headlights
JDM STi grille

Can you tell I import/sell JDM parts? I really wanted to show, with this car, what type of performance tuning is possible on a budget using all used and mostly JDM parts. Every mod on the car is used except for the uppipe and the K&N filter.

EDIT: Someone said something about the weight of the car. I don't know if that was in reference to me. I know the dyno chart says 3,400lbs. Not sure why. The curb weight of the WRX is 3095lbs. It's not a very heavy car - especially for a sedan.

Peace,
MK2
Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Nice.. i hope u get them 12's man.. probably up the boost just a tad.. run about 18 .5 or 19 lbs.. and then let er rip on the track.. Later man..

nice car.. ive always wanted a wrx.. i hear there kick a-s-s in the snow are they as good as a truck?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 PM
JDM V7 STi (sorta)

Thanks. I'll check in when I get a timeslip - whenever that is. I doubt I'll even bother trying during the hot summer months here in Dallas.

As for the snow - I have no clue. Don't get much snow here in Texas. With the tires and suspension I have on my car I'm sure it would get somewhere, but nowhere near as good as a truck

Peace,
MK2

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.