Backfire - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM
"Drive It Until It Breaks"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Backfire

Today, I got the MSD and distributor put in and wired up. I had a local mechanic stop by and check out the wiring. He said everything looked fine and he tested it to see would it fire and there was spark. The problem however was that he said I had the wrong dist. cap. So he sent me down to NAPA to get a different cap. When I got back and put that cap on, the number one was in a different location. So I put the wires on based off of where I knew the number one point was at when I put it at TDC. Well, the car turned over twice, but both times I got back fire. Now, when I hit the ignition, I'm getting nothing. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I'm thinking that maybe I have my wires on the dist off. If so, how would i be able to find TDC now, after the crank has been turned several times?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Pull the #1 spark plug, bump the starter until you feel the piston pushing your thump off the #1 spark plug hole.....that's the compression stroke, if your balancer markings are correct, turn by hand until the TDC mark lines up with the pointer....look at your rotor under the dizzy cap, that's where the number one wire should go.

Was it a new MSD or used?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Re

It was used. When I bought the car, it was already hooked up.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Did it run before you chg'd the cap? If so you might have gotten the wrong cap, seems strange that it it ran before and the new cap was diff....... I'd go back to the orig cap
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Re

It did'nt actually run, the mechanic just took a screwdriver and put one to a plug wire and took one and taped the selonod to see would it turn over and it did. It turned over twice with the new cap, but never caught just backfired. What would cause the backfire, and I thought I smelt something burning.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

dizzy could be incorrectly indexed, 180 degrees out, firing order messed up ( not starting at #1 cyl at TDC and the rotor at the #1 post) My advice is to pull all the plug wires, pull the # 1 plug, get it at TDC on the compression stroke (this is where it could be 180 degree off) look under the dizzy cap and find where the rotor is pointing (to determine the # 1 post)

(get on line and see where the #1 post should be, if it's way off pull the dizzy and re-index it so the #1 post ends up close to where it's supposed to be) Don't turn over the engine!

Reattach the plug wires one at a time (from the dizzy to the plugs) following the firing order for your engine. If your ing sytem is good it should fire, if it runs ruff - adv or retart the timing (by rotating the dizzy) untill it runs smooth, get a timing light and adj to the specs for your engine.

Last edited by EOD Guy; 07-23-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

Re

Thanks for the advice. Two questions though:

1) The orignal factory distributor had the #1 plug located between the 11 and 12 o'clock position. This new duraspark distributor has the #1 terminal at about the 1 o'clock position. It's a distributor for a '78 Mustang and there's no way to rotate the cap around to the 11 - 12 o'clock position?

2) As I have my thumb over the #1 sparkplug hole, will it be obvious between the exhaust stroke and compression stroke to make sure it's at top dead center since I cannot go off the number one on the cap?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

which engine ?

If you have a V8 there are TWO different firing orders between std small blocks and the 351 W -5.0 Ho engines, some one could have installed a cam with the HO firing order, In that case you need to first find No 1 TDC then the next cylinder in the firing order to verify which firing order you have. Then you can plug in the wires in the correct order . On the early buick V 6 engines there are odd fire engines, the cylinders DO NOT fire 120 degrees apart. On those engines the distributor position, rotor position and spark plug wires must be in the correct position per the manual. or you can have 3 cylinders firing correctly and 3 cylinders off a few dergees. turning the distributor to time the engine just moves 3 cylinders out of time and 3 cylinders into time. and you don't notice any difference in the way the engine runs.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Re

Its a 302. The firing order was the normal 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.