Hot Rod Forum banner

Backfire at idle

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  NOlowrider 
#1 ·
Hello folks, while at idle my 350 backfires or pops out of the driverside only. I did a search on the site and someone suggested for a simular post that it was possible to have two wires crossed. I checked them and they are right, so what is the problem. It starts fine and idles fine except for the poping. Is it possible that I may have a stuck valve? Thank you for any help!

mild cam (not sure of specs)
hei w/the adjusted weights and springs (middle range)
accell super coil
headers
holley 600

#7 ·
Correct at idle and deceleration
Plugs are new
wires seem to be in good shape, no obvious damage
have not put the vacuum on the carb to tune yet, tomorrow
maybe a small exhaust leak around header collector

One other thing-a friend told me to pour Marvel mystery oil down the carb, if it was a stuck valve it may free it up. I don't think I like that idea. Anyone ever did that before?

#8 · (Edited)
leaky collector, eh? that can cause popping on decell

Pull the plugs and see that they are all brown. run the compression test and see how the cylinders compare.

also do you have vacuum advance hooked up? if so port or manifold? port or no vac advance can cause popping on decell also.

at idle is almost something in the valve train

#9 ·
I do have the vacuum advance hooked up to the port (base of carb). I am going to pull the plug and isolate the cylinder, then pull the valve cover an take a look at it. If the valve is stuck, I should be able to tell with the cover removed, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.