Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Backfire through Carb?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

A Holly Tech sugessted that I increase the squiter size from 31 to 37, but it didn't have the desired effect. I can fine tune the carb later, probabbly end up as it came out of the box. After pulling the intake manifold today and adjusting valves, I noticed that several of the hydraulic lifters were stuck at the top and wouldn't move down or adjust inside the lifter. Thereafter chatted online with a Comp Cams tech and he said they must be "pumped up" and that I need to take them apart to release the pressure. Did that, much better and they then had a total adjustment range of about 1 1/2 turns, set them all at 1/2 turn. However, I just got it back together, started it up, and it's the same as before! I guess now I need to check an see if they are pumped up again, which might be lifting the valves off their seats? Anybody had this problem before? Not sure if this is the problem. It is idling OK, an occasional pop, but if I hit the throttle quick, a big fire comes up the carb. This might have to wait until next week, going fishing up at Lake Davis by Portola, for the Labor Day weekend.