backfiring carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2002, 09:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post backfiring carb

I am currently running a 2.3 2bbl 4 cyl in my ford ranger. A few months ago me and my father rebuilt the carb. for about 2 weeks it ran pretty good, but after a while it began to backfire and choke. I figured it was the air fuel mixure so i adjusted and adjusted it, but it keeps backfireing, no matter what adjusments i make. I then bought new plugs, wires, a new roter and a new cap, but this also did not stop the backfireing, could the problem be coming from the cam.? last i saw it, it was pretty worn, i could never even get over 60 with the truck, but now im lucky if i can get up to 50 before it backfires. every time i take off i have to go nice and easy or it will choke. i am planing on doing a 302 swap, but i still need to relly on this motor for a while longer, i am 17 and i dont make a whole lot of monry working at mc-e-dees. someone please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2002, 09:56 PM

check you timing...valve and eletrical...if that fails you either have bad jets in your carb or an intake manafold leak.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Check the ignition module pickup in the distributor, the TFI ignition uses a special pickup in the distributor that allows the computer to vary the timing. If that pickup is brown or black it's shot, new ones are white. You can't miss it as the module is a kind of rubber and is curved. When these things die the computer will lock the timing at ten degrees (limp home mode) and will cause the symtoms you describe. You would think Ford would allow the computer to light the "check engine" light on the dash when this happens but it doesn't. One of Ford's better ideas I guess?!
Old 06-02-2002, 03:21 AM

check your catalytic converter to make sure its not plugged because fords are bad for that
Old 06-02-2002, 08:16 AM

I've had a motor with worn intake lobes, and yes it will backfire through the carb, all ignition
work timing,won't help if your cam is worn. do a compression test , if you are missing on one cylinder you are going to miss on two, air , fuel is altered. you kinda answered your own question
the cam.could it be, yes

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.