Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Backtap for cross threaded spark plug
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
Can the chaser be used from the outside.

If not I'll pull the head and first try chasing then the cutter from the inside.

Thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
First, the best way to do this w/the head on is w/the internal chaser, as you know.

The cheaper chasers can be used from the outside. The threads of the chaser should be slightly tapered to allow it to start even w/buggered threads. The rubber O-ring is there to hold the chaser in a socket w/o falling out. If you're going to go in from the outside, the tapered threads are important because you generally only get one shot at it- either it'll work or it'll cross thread, and if you use a chaser w/an abrupt start to the threads (see below), starting the tool w/o cross threading is hard. If you're careful you can add the taper yourself.

You might find the double ended chasers are too bulky. I have a long single thread chaser here but I cannot seem to find it online. There are single ended thread chasers (like K-D p/n 3379) that can be used w/a 3/8" extension and ratchet or a 5/8" plug socket. It is shown below.

Good luck.