Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Backtap for cross threaded spark plug
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
First, I want to say thank you for all the advise. Because of help from people like you, I have tackled projects I would never have and always succeeded !!!!!
I just bought a single sided, taped chaser, the kind you use a 3/8" rachet on and will be pulling the head to do all the work. I will also replace the valve seals and reseat the valves.
My plan is to first try chasing it, if that does not work, I'll tap it and lastly put in a time cert. I will chase and tap from the inside. To me it's not worth destroying a head for a days work.
Again,
Thank you.
Excelent plan you will succeed for sure just take your time and it always works out in the end. Be sure to check all the threads while your threads while you got the head off.

@cobolt i am not suggesting your idea was not workable just not as easy to pull off. Tools and advice were good just not as safe as pulling the head. In truth a dealer mechanic that strips a plug would do what you said and if that didnt work would drill and timesert the head without ever telling the customer. Or careing if some small shards got into the head. As long as ot does blow up before it leaves the shop. Sad but true a mech working flat rate does not get paid to pull a head to fix threads and even if he was paid he would not since the short cut pays the same money. These are the advantages we get by working on our cars ourselves. We get to make these choices.

Last edited by hcompton; 12-05-2012 at 07:15 PM.