Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bad body work /cars with hidden surprises
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggers View Post
Buddy of mine bought a 59 chevy sedan delivery car looked great had shaved handles and all mouldings shaved.Bought new quarter mldgs to put on upon discovery they had filed the body lines up solid with filler over an inch of filler the car was straight to. He wanted to put the door handles back in it as well once he started doing that he discovered they put aluminum tape over door handle hole and lock cylinder and mudded right over it . Car was straight and looked good he is a body man by trade told him he needs to strip the rest of the car now to make sure there isnt any other hidden surpises!
Aluminum tape...it's disgusting what some people will do...and still sleep at night...I remember a 76 Trans Am that a customer brought to me to do a frame ON restoration and wanted a quote (which I never do until it's stripped), I told him that it needed to be taken down to metal to see what I was dealing with...started stripping the car and both lower rear quarters had sweat socks stuffed into rust holes and body filler over top...When the car pulled up to m y shop it looked pretty good...whoever did it was good with filler...he should have been a sculptor, not a body man.

This also reminds me of a shop that I knew many many years ago...he used to do paint jobs for used car lots and cut the paint with leaded gasoline instead of reducer...it would shine like no tomorrow, for about 2 weeks and die off in a hurry..the lot had 2 weeks to sell the car.