Bad body work /cars with hidden surprises - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've been into all muscle cars but AMC was one that I fell in love with in 1970. The AMX was into it's 3rd year and I was looking for my first real car...My neighbor was selling his 290 68 AMX and I always loved the looks, with a 2 seater, I wouldn't be able to have a bunch of rowdy buddies in the car and it was just different. He wanted a whopping $1,400 for the car and all I had saves up was about $1,200. So I ended up with a 67 Firebird...it was great had it for years and did paint body and engine work. Still loved AMC, so in 1990 I was at an estate sale and picked up my first AMC, I finally got a 69 AMX 390 4 speed group 19 package with about 40,000 miles for $1,750. Still have the car and have added the 68 and 70 to the AMX collection as well as a 68 343 4 speed Rebel, 70 Machine, and a 71 Gremlin. The pride of the AMC part of my collection is the 69 AMX....it's almost to clean and original to drive. The last time I drove it I lost a fan belt and it took me a while to find a NOS belt to replace it. So now I'm collecting as much NOS stuff that I can find for my AMC's

I always wanted the 69 SC/Scrambler but a good one is hard to find and when I have found one, well for some reason (I know they only made about 1,500 of them) they are priced real high. Oh well, 1 day I'll get lucky and get that barn find.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I guess I should mention that I have several pre 71 Javelins, but thy aren't done yet, I've put them on the back burner for now but, they will get done. They should be counted in my AMC stable, but I don't consider them as a true part of the collection until the're done.

Not a big fan of the 1971 and up AMC's (as a rule, except the Gremlin), I call the Javelin's and the AMX's humpsters, because of the humps over the front and rear wheels. Some people like them, I don't.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like quite a collection you have there. That Machine you have is it R/W/B paint or a color? Always liked those cars, the guy that bought my scrambler, his brother who I know quite well has a nice collection of rare AMC muscle cars and has a real nice machine. I am with you on the 71 up big hump fender javs and amx's. The last one as far as I am concerned was the 70 AMX. Not too many people care for the amc's and I think the AMX was never really recognized for the great muscle car it really was and could hold its own against any of the other big motored muscle cars of it's day. Today the scrambler is mostly sought after for it's rarity, as they only built 1512 of them. Now because all the wealthy collectors are getting into this the prices are out of reach. When I bought mine back in 1987 I did not buy it because of it's rarity and the fact that some day it would be a collectors item, I bought it because I really liked the car a lot and thought it was the wildest paint sheme to ever come from the factory. I drove the car hard, the way they used to be driven even after I finished the restoration back in 1990. Today if you were to take a ride in one of these cars, it would not be anything like it was back then by any means, for the fear of something happening to this "valuable" piece of history.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yes my machine is the R/W/B, I was fortunate enough to get NOS decals for it and have an extra set...just in case, if anything happened it would be next to impossible to replace. my 68 Rebel, was quite a deal, I saw and add in the local news paper for it and it read, "for sale, 68 Rebel, new 4 speed transmission, 343, running, $800.00." I figured the 4 speed alone would be great and I could make up the rest with a running 343...well I went and looked at the car and the body, although the original paint (blue) was faded, was mint, same with the interior. I didn't argue, I paid the guy, drove it home and kept the car. I didn't do a frame off on it, it would have been nice but,really didn't need it. Just did the paint, cleaned up the interior and rebuilt the front end. One of my better deals...except my 69 AMX...I'll never part with that one.

Your right about the after 1970 AMC's...again...except the Gremlin. I loved the Gremlin because it was so easy to drop whatever AMC, V8 you wanted in them, and they are so ugly, they look good...it's almost like AMC was building a car, ran out of resources and cut 2 feet off the back to save money...it was like a V8 Vega with 1/10 the work. My Gremlin now has a 1971 AMC 401 in it and is a blast to drive. Does it go fast in the 1/4 mile? NO...I haven't done any suspension work to it, but the best burnouts you can imagine.

I still would love to get a SC/Scrambler, I think it would make my AMC collection complete, for me anyway. I'm sure someday I'll either be able to afford the asking price for a good one or find one that's rebuildable for a decent price. When I got my Machine decal kits, I also got a NOS Scrambler kit complete.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.