Bad brake booster? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 09:10 AM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad brake booster?

Hell everyone, I seem to be having trouble with my 74 Chevy truck. It starts up great, idles great and runs fine, except that "sometimes" it wants to die upon coming to a stop. Floats seem to be good, 2 turns out (adjusted w/vacuum gauge). I have noticed that the vacuum hose going to the booster was cavitated, my brakes are not that great, goes pretty close to the floor. And I notice a slight change in the RPM once the pedal is depressed. If the booster was bad, wouldn't the brakes be hard to push? And if the master cylinder was bad wouldn't they would go to the floor, right? So, my question is, Can a bad master cylinder cause the engine to die upon stopping? Maybe a bad diaphram between the booster and master cylinder? Truck has 327, Holley 600cfm (4160), (4.5 powervalve or 6.5 same problem), 8 degress BTDC, HEI w/acell supercoil, Elgin 280/280, .443/.433 cam, TH350. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by NOlowrider; 05-26-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

The booster can leak when the brakes are applied. Plug the line and see if RPM change goes away. Change the hose if it is sucking flat, also check the check-valve that goes into the booster. both are cheap. You will most likely have to replace the booster. I know at one time you could get it separate from the master cylinder. Cheaper that way, but check the price it might not be much difference.

Richard
Old 05-26-2005, 11:38 AM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. I already changed the hose, I had a fuel line for the vacuum hose and I thought that it was too flimsy, but problem still exist with respect to the stalling. Just to make sure we are on the same page, when I spoke of the "booster" I am refering to the big round thing that the master cylinder mounts to, where the vacuum hose connects. I don't have a check valve on it, it is just a 90 degree nipple that fits into a rubber gromet. Yes, you can get them separate, master cylinder $14.00 and Booster $79.00. Not too bad.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

I thought they had ta check valve by then. I think it is the 90 fitting you are talking about is the check valve. The Booster is the big thing on the back of the master cylinder. They will leak differently. Sometimes they just leak other times it is only when you apply the brakes. With the truck just idling apply the brakes and see if the idle changes. Then pull the hose to the booster and plug it with a bolt or something and do the same. If the idle only changes with everything hooked up, the booster is leaking inside. I have seen those like that too many times to count. It is just a big rubber blader and wares out. It is over 30 years old now. It could be the original.
Richard

Old 05-26-2005, 12:39 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Thank you, PapaG. I am going out to do that right now. Very informative reply. Thanks.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.