Bad Fish Eyes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bad Fish Eyes

Paint and body work newbie here sprayed a ton of fish eyes today. I started spraying on a junk panel and thought they were forming because I hadn't cleaned it. So when it sprayed smooth I went to my work piece. Tons of fish eyes there too so I quit and wasted the rest of the paint.

I don't think the problem is my compressor or lines. I have a 60 gallon single stage with about 50'of piping with drip legs (learned from this sight) and a water filter at the end. Water barely ever makes it to the filter.

I have been spraying SPI epoxy primer for the last two weeks through an old gun with no problems. I just sprayed my door jambs with SPI epoxy 3 days ago.

Today I went to paint the door jambs. I bought a half pint of single stage paint and a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun. I disassembled the gun and cleaned it with mineral spirits and let dry for 20-30 minutes. I think this is the problem, as I have always cleaned with laquer thinner before. Since the instructions with the gun said to use mineral spirits, that's what I did this time.

Body panels were cleaned with SPI wax and grease remover 20-30 minutes before painting.

Any ideas what went wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
bodyman

All you can do is elimante one thing at a time. I would start with the spray gun since this is the first thing you used differant. Clean with gun wash gun and pot.
The Following User Says Thank You to gorilla13 For This Useful Post:
tech69 (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Have you used a silicone spray of ANY kind (i.e. ArmorAll) in the spray area? I would also suspect ArmorAll if the interior door panels had ever been sprayed or wiped down with it.
I will recommend picking up a box of TSP (Tri-sodium-phosphate) at your LHS and mix it in some VERY hot water. Wash everything down with that before using the wax and grease remover.
Mark
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Mineral spirits is used for deluting oil based paints. Clean the gun good with some laquer thinner (soak it and wipe very clean and rinse in clean thinner again).
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

what did you use to apply the wax and grease remover? I once used a commercially washed cloth to apply, and paid big for that little blunder. now it's brand new micro fiber only. if a tack rag is still used, don't rub at all. just let the tack cloth float over the surface. If you want to know how to screw up a paint job, just ask, I've done every way possible over the years.
Worst fish eyes ever, however, were right after a trip to the lake. I knew I should have cut those heads off first.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010173.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	74630  
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

LOL, nice "fish eyes..."
For cleaning I use Scott's blue shop towels exclusively...

Been using them for many years with no issues. These leave no lint or cloth threads and when you're done, toss 'em!
Mark
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Well, this is all good advice. Mix a little bit of the paint and brush it out. Lately there has been some bad hardner going around Next ,when you neutralize a gun, if you're using urethane neutralize it with urethane reducer. If the lab guys hear in you putting lacquer thinner in a gun that your going to shoot urethane out of they go nuts.They speak in tongues and become glassy eyed , and Last but not least, be sure to drain compressor often.I bought a turbine outfit years ago and it was the best investment I ever made .With urethane ANY water or oil can mess you up big time Good luck
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I haven't sprayed or used anything silicone around the area. I'm always pretty thorough with my surface cleaning. I use those same blue Scott towels with the wax and grease remover.

If the mineral spirits inside the gun hadn't fully evaporated yet could this have caused the fish eyes?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 AM

Last photo:

It's possible that the mineral spirits could be contaminated with moisture if it's been floating around the garage for a while. You have to go step-by-step, check the paint, flush the gun with your the urethane reducer, drain the living daylights out of the compressor and shoot a test panel.You'll figure it out
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
LOL, nice "fish eyes..."
For cleaning I use Scott's blue shop towels exclusively...

Been using them for many years with no issues. These leave no lint or cloth threads and when you're done, toss 'em!
Mark
Thats what I've been using. but even better are the white ones if you can find them, usually they're at Lowes or Home depo
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
Mineral spirits is used for deluting oil based paints. Clean the gun good with some laquer thinner (soak it and wipe very clean and rinse in clean thinner again).
X 2 on the thinner or what we call "wash" thinner...I'll bet its the gun it has something to do with what they pack them in ,This isnt the first time I've heard about this problem with HF guns...Take it completely apart and soak and clean it and it should work alright.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarNose View Post
Thanks for the replies. I haven't sprayed or used anything silicone around the area. I'm always pretty thorough with my surface cleaning. I use those same blue Scott towels with the wax and grease remover.

If the mineral spirits inside the gun hadn't fully evaporated yet could this have caused the fish eyes?
I bought "paint" thinner at Lowes ONCE it turned out to be mineral sprits it felt oily and didnt o anything at all, ended up tossing it.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 PM

It seems like the mineral spirits were the culprit. I bought another gun today, cleaned it with laquer thinner, and no fish eyes at all today. Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 AM

Those 20.00 guns can cost a lot in the end...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:26 AM
boatbob2

HF HVLP Guns.........

Those HF guns work great,for a cheap gun,BUT,you have to clean them with ACETONE, before using it,clean both gun and cup..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.