Hot Rod Forum banner

bad fuel or bad mechanical fuel pump??????

24K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Danscam 
#1 ·
Just want to know if anybody has put bad gas in their car. What are the symptoms? The reason Im asking because I drove my car the other day which is chevy camaro 350ci carbuerated and it actually ran very strong. But today when I went to start it, it didnt want to run. It starts up after about 10 seconds, runs, then starts to sputter like the carb needs adjusted or the timing is off. The only thing I can think of is that I put gas the other day when I drove it which could be bad ,or the mechanical fuel pump went. How can I tell If pump is bad or if I put bad gas in car? :confused: :mad:

#2 ·
I got some bad gas one time and the engine ran OK until you tried to accelerate, then the whole engine would bog down. Also, I was getting some white smoke that would not go away. I trouble shooted the problem by thinking back to when the problem started, and it was right after putting gas into the car from a place I usually don't buy gas from. I drained the tank, put new gas in and that cured the problem. I saved a sample of the bad gas, compared it to the good gas in a clear container, smelled it, examined it from every angle and you could not tell any difference in the two until it got in the car.

#3 ·
If you really think it's bad gas, take a sample back to the gas station. Most will send it back for analysts.

To check the fuel pump, disconnect it from the carb, run a hose from it to a can and pull the coil wire (don't want it to start). Hit the starter for a few seconds and you'll know if it's pumping.

Could be a dirty filter or dirt in the needle seat.

#4 ·
bad mechanical fuel pump

I narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump. I drained all the fuel out of tank and then added water remover. Then I added new 93 octane, started the car and it still had the same problem. The only thing I could think of is that the fuel pump is malfunctioning. So I guess Ill try to change out the pump and if that doesnt work Ill have to get smeone with more expierence to fix it. The only thing , does anyone know what size mechanical fuel pump I should install on chevy small block? Its built up, big cam, aluminum heads,perfomer intake, 750 holley double pumper. Holley makes a 80 gph and a 110 gph, dont know what size to get for this engine. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.