Bad, Gas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad, Gas?

Alright. I stopped and got gas yesterday, a few miles from home on a nearly empty tank and drove right home. Drove just fine as it was. Early today, me and my brother decided to go make a pizza run. Hopped in, started normal. Warmed it up. Normal. Got going down the road, about 5 miles, still normal. Stopped at the stop sign, fixing to get on the highway and when I went to pull out it kinda skipped a little and almost died. But picked right back up, and on we went a few miles down the highway. All seemed good for the most part going down through there. Stopped at the light, and when it turned green it skipped again, a little worse and on we went again. Stopped at the store for a minute, and as we were just a mile down the road, it felt to have lost some power. Did not think about it to much. When we were leaving the pizza place, I had remembered when we timed it a few days prior, we went with a higher initial. Putting it at about 14-16 or so initial. So backed it down a little bit. No idea how much of course, being in a hot parking lot. Adjusted the idle back to around 800 or whatever. Went to pull out of the place, and it just, cut off. Spun it over, finely lit back up. Backed it up into a parking spot, fighting it not to die. let it sit a minute while I was checking over things. Trying to listen for things, but all sounded to be ok. Checked to make sure the idle mixture screws were right where we left them, they were. Advanced the timing back where I thought it was, of course knowing I wouldn't get it back perfect. Adjusted the idle back right. And went up the road some. And wow. No power! Just nothing at all... Went down the highway, flat sounding. Just nothing. Went to turn off the exit, tried to do a little burnout to see if it had the power, and just dead... Nothing. Drove the rest of the way home, rolling through stop signs, just empty with power... Got home, checked the timing. It WAS a little over 16 initial.(a little over the side of the timing tab) It didn't try overheating or anything. Put it back were we had it, that seemed to before make the most power and what not. Drove up the road, and still felt bleh.

The motor was firing on all eight. After dark, went out and checked to see if the wires were making arching or something, and no. The motor is a 355, 508 lift/313 duration cam hydraulic flat tappet, 750 holley vs, torkii 2 intake, 461 double hump heads, flat top pistons, stock crank and rods, gm hei, fresh build, maybe 1000 miles, tops. It is in a 70 c10. Backed with a 2200 stall, turbo 400, and 4.11. Has not really had a single problem since... Before, pulled STRONG. Sounds STRONG. Just everything you wouldn't want for a dd..lol

Could this be bad gas? Or, what are you thinking it may be? I tried to explain it to the best of my ability. May have missed some things. Thank you up front if you took the time to read it all.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM

warm engine,spit on header tubes,make sure all are equally hot. take a fuel samble from float bowl and put in a class test tube,check for clarity and water.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

Already checked the headers. Water sizzled right off. Gas seems to look like gas. Nothing looking unnormal through the bowl. Would water stand out of the gas? Never had to deal with that
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 PM

water sinks to the bottom,thats why you use a glass test tube.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Alright, thanks man! I will check in the morning.

Any other thoughts?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
Any other thoughts?
"When we were leaving the pizza place, I had remembered when we timed it a few days prior, we went with a higher initial. Putting it at about 14-16 or so initial."

This worries me. It's possible you were running with 40+ degrees of advance, initial and centrifugal. If the exhaust is loud enough, you may not have heard the motor detonating and it may have banged the piston crowns enough to pinch the top rings. Not enough to prevent the motor running or make it misfire, but enough to kill power. The fuel you had on board initially may have been of sufficient quality to prevent detonation, but the load you took on the day before may have been crap fuel, incapable of preventing detonation with the advance you had in the motor.

Warm the motor, remove all the plugs, disable the coil wire to prevent a fire, wire the carb primary throttle blades wide open and do a compression test on all the cylinders.

Last edited by techinspector1; 04-16-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

I honestly do not think that happened. We put it there, because that is what was making the most power. Test and tune, test and tune. Going up and down the road. And yeah. Although, I am not saying it couldn't have happened. And just would not think so. If all else fails tomorrow, I may end up doing a compression test just to see where it is at after a 1000 or so miles. And if things go down hill, I would not mind doing a rebuild and a cam swap anyways. Go smaller. Was a bad bad bad decision. Sounds cool. But robs low end power, really bad. When it is running right, good power doesn't start coming in till about 3000-3500. Then it launches like a rocket ship, but not really what I would like.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Check your fuel filter - since you were almost empty before you filled up, you might have sucked some junk out of the bottom of the tank and clogged up your filter. If it's mostly clogged, but not completely it might start and idle, but won't have any power when you open it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to sedanbob For This Useful Post:
KyleG (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
Go smaller. Was a bad bad bad decision. Sounds cool. But robs low end power, really bad. When it is running right, good power doesn't start coming in till about 3000-3500. Then it launches like a rocket ship, but not really what I would like.
Been there, done that. The first cam I ever installed was in a 1500 VW motor. Stock everything except cam, intake and carb. The only spec I can remember was the overlap.....122 degrees!!!! It was like a Top Fuel cam in a street VW. It was awful. It would come at about 3500, but still didn't have much poop. My wife was driving a new, bone-stock 1600 and she could hand me my *** on a plate every time.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Check your fuel filter - since you were almost empty before you filled up, you might have sucked some junk out of the bottom of the tank and clogged up your filter. If it's mostly clogged, but not completely it might start and idle, but won't have any power when you open it up.
This makes sense. I always look for the most complicated problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
I am going to do that first thing in the morning. It got dark on me today. The front bowl up at the motor appeared to be clear. But, that doesnt mean much lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Been there, done that. The first cam I ever installed was in a 1500 VW motor. Stock everything except cam, intake and carb. The only spec I can remember was the overlap.....122 degrees!!!! It was like a Top Fuel cam in a street VW. It was awful. It would come at about 3500, but still didn't have much poop. My wife was driving a new, bone-stock 1600 and she could hand me my *** on a plate every time.
Haha Dang! Well, we had the guy doing the machine work on the block order us the cam. We told him we wanted a lopey idle that would work good with the heads, and stuff. And now I know, never build one just for sound.. Gotta learn though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
This makes sense. I always look for the most complicated problems.
You just like keeping things interesting
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Found some water in it today.. So tomorrow, I am going to pick up a new filter, and get some stabilizer.. See what happens after that
Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Bad, Gas?

Try a bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner and a bottle of Valvoline Water Remover. Drive it around a few miles. Come home shut it off and let it sit about 20 minutes. Drive it around again to see if power is coming back. This stuff works i know. My wife's 2002 Chevy Tahoe had the same thing happen. She fill up at WAWA that evening and went where she had to go. Came home and parked it. Next morning she went to start it for work all it would do is spin over. I walked over to the Advance Auto later and bought those two items. Poured both into the gas tank. After about 30 minutes I tried to start it. It was trying but still wouldn't start. I held the pedal to the floor and turned the key finally it started with a rough idle. I drove it about a couple of miles and it was missing bad. I came home and let it sit about an hour then tried it again. This time it ran smoother and I drove around town some. I brought it back home and parked it. When my wife came home from work she ate dinner and then jumped into the Tahoe to go do some shopping. I asked her how it ran when she got back. She said it ran fine no problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.