Bad Luck Strikes Hard Friday the 13th - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
oldtimerodder

Last journal entry: 52 Chev PU
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad Luck Strikes Hard Friday the 13th

My garage burned to the ground on January 13, 2012. My project was not in this bldg, but my Harley Davidson FLHTC was. I was in the process of doing a good old Minnesota winter rebuild on the old girl 1994 model and the fire got her. Also all of my tools, special fixtures etc. I have been both a machinist and a Harley mechanic, they are called technicians now. I had an extremely large collection of machinist tools with Gerstner Oak boxes snuggled around them. Also had a Mac 50th anniversary tool box with matching bottom roller. Of course filled to the brim with tools. Insurance man is going to wonder why would 1 person own 6- 1/2 inch wrenches, on and on. I'm sure you all get me you all most likely have the same. Snap on, Craftsman, Starrett, you name it.
All top shelf American Made tools. Even burned my compressor to a melted gob. Now I have to inventory each and every piece, photograph it and put it all on their "special" form. Some of this stuff is gone, might have been on the bench and got tossed with the burned wood.
Carpe Diem
believe in God and pray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240001.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	63259   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260007.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	63260   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1270139.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	63261   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260071.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	63262  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sorry to hear about the loss....life goes on
Old 02-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I have photos of my tools, just open the drawers and shoot.I can write a list from that if needed, also I can show the police what the stuff looks like if it comes up missin.
kinda hard to argue with photos.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sorry to hear this...But something good always come's out of something bad.. Keep your faith...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
I have photos of my tools, just open the drawers and shoot.I can write a list from that if needed, also I can show the police what the stuff looks like if it comes up missin.
kinda hard to argue with photos.
x2
my insurance company asked why I wanted x dollars of coverage for belongings inside the garage, as they said the auto coverage would cover the vehicle.. I shot photo's of the tools, and extra car parts, and they said ok.. we understand now..
good luck with the insurance.. at least it was only the garage..

my wife jokes if the house caught fire I'd be telling the firemen to aim the water at the garage and let the house burn.. thats not true, but funny anyways..
good luck
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
oldtimerodder

Last photo:

Friday 13th

Amen and thank you.
Do an inventory on your tools including photos and cost now. Keep any and all receipts in a fireproof place. I am doing this after the fact and it is time consuming and of course after a fire, messy. I got some latex gloves to wear as I handle the tools so my hands don't get black. Didn't do this at first and that soot takes a few days to get off no matter how hard you scrub. The fire captain told me they add a chemical now to the water to help put the fire out faster and completly. That is what makes the mess. Odd thing, I had some papers and photos in the box and some of these did not even burn while others did. We go on and pray things get better.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Ouch, man I feel for you. I went through exactly the same thing. Lost all my tools in a total loss business fire, replacement value around 80 - 90K. Best advice, document everything, and talk to a lawyer. The insurance company will try to screw you in any way they can, so having legal representation will go a long way. I didn't, and go a big zippo from the insurance, and had to start over from scratch.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
oldtimerodder

Last photo:

Fire

I know the insurance company will attempt to put it to me so an attorney will be involved. I was a machinist over 30 years ago but my tools and Oak tool boxes were like new. I am very picky you might say about my tools. I even waxed my mechanics tool boxes on a monthly basis. Might sound odd to some but my stuff was always clean and in new like condition. If a socket got greasy inside I used brake cleaner on it before I put it away. A bit anal but I don't like going to my box and grabbing a greasy tool.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

What was the cause of the Fire

It would be good for all of us to know how it started or what started the fire so we can all avoid what happened to you, Sorry about all you lost.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM
oldtimerodder

Last photo:

Fire

The fire inspector and insurance inspector said it was electrical. They think it started in an outlet box. There was nothing plugged into the box, so whoever wired the building may have left a wire nut loose or off.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

yikes, thats a bummer, sorry to hear it
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Something that lays in the backs of all our minds (along with an echo) and, as Randy said, just keep the faith. A lawyer is your friend in this case so use them. Good Luck with getting back to square one.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Many of us who own the best and have made a living with them wouldn't think your discipline at all anal. I still have the first SK socket set I started with 43 years ago when I was 15. All my snap on and mac tools are 20-30 years old and like new, each in it's own place and clean.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss too. Just my 2 cents worht: Years back I had a fire in a rental property. only fire I ever had thank God. I used a Public Adjuster to fight for me with great success. They meet the insurance Company head on. Less expensive than an attorney as they are legal experts not usually tool experts. try the yellow pages. Just a thought. Best of luck with it all. Sorry you have to go thr.ough this.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:50 AM
oldtimerodder

Last photo:

Things worked out well with the insurance company. The actually had brand new Snap On, and Craftsman Tools delivered to my home and sent me a check for a tidy amount to replace tools they could not send. I have purchased most everything and will be sending them receipts to get the balance of the money sent. All in all not a horrendous experience. Still have to redo the cement floor and can't quite figure out how to go about it. I have to clean the burn marks first, then level the spots that popped up, then I think I will paint it. Any ideas?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.