Bad news for us Texans..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 PM
http://www.texasspeedandshine.

Wiki Edits: 0

Bad news for us Texans.....

This just SUCKS! I don't know who voted for this BS, but I'm going to find out. This bill takes effect as law on October 1, 2006. Texas is now reaching DEEP into the pockets of hard-working Texans.
To me presume and assume is the same thing. You know what they say when you assume.......

HOUSE BILL 4, Standard Presumptive Value TAX

HB 4 by Swinford addresses the problem of under-reporting of sales prices of motor vehicles in calculating the 6.25 percent motor vehicle sales-and-use tax.
The bill requires the Texas Department of Transportation to determine for vehicle sales tax purposes the “standard presumptive value” – or private-party transaction value – of a motor vehicle based on a regional guidebook of a national industry reporting service or other appropriate publication. The department must maintain the standard presumptive values of vehicles in its registration and title system, update the data at least quarterly, and publish the updated information. These data must be made available to county tax assessor-collectors.
Effective October 1, 2006, a county tax assessor-collector must use the amount paid for a motor vehicle to assess the state’s 6.25 percent sales-and-use tax on the purchase if the amount paid is at least 80 percent of the vehicle’s standard presumptive value. If the amount paid for the motor vehicle is less than 80 percent of the standard presumptive value, the county tax assessor-collector must assess the tax on 80 percent of the vehicle’s value. The county tax assessor-collector may assess the sales-and-use tax on an amount less than 80 percent of the standard presumptive value only if the retail value is shown on:
a receipt or invoice provided by a motor vehicle dealer;
a certified appraisal performed by a motor vehicle dealer; or

a certified appraisal performed by a licensed adjuster.
If the individual provides such information, the tax will be levied on the retail value shown on the receipt, invoice, or appraisal. If the seller chooses to present a certified appraisal, that appraisal must be presented by the purchaser to the tax assessor-collector within 20 working days after the vehicle is delivered to the purchaser.
The bill requires a motor vehicle dealer to provide a certified appraisal of the retail value of a motor vehicle, for which the dealer may charge a fee to be determined by the comptroller.
These requirements do not apply to transactions involving an even exchange of vehicles or to a gift. The bill also does not apply to abandoned or disposed motor vehicles.
The standard presumptive value provision in HB 4 takes effect October 1, 2006. The remainder of HB 4 takes effect August 14, 2006.
According to the LBB, HB 4 will result in gains to the state of $30.6 million in fiscal 2007, $42.3 million in fiscal 2008, and $42.8 million in fiscal 2009. These figures are in addition to vehicle sales tax revenue the state would have collected in these years if the standard presumptive value provision had not taken effect.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Tex, we have been paying thru the nose on that type of "taxation without representation" for years. I have seen the "property tax" on my old vehicles quadruple over the past 4 years only because the tax assessor arbitrairly increases the value for the sole purpose of increasing the revenue to the county. The only good news for sales tax rip off is that the actual purchase price can be used vice the states "book value".

Trees
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last journal entry: Hauling it home from Dixie.
Last photo:

We have the same problem in Nevada. I think most of it came about due to private party sales. People were selling a vehical for say 2k but on the bill of sale putting down 1k thus lowering the amount of tax due. The DMV/Legislators felt cheated so things were changed mandating that taxes are paid on low book value of the car purchased.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Now, from what you stated, that just looks like the typical BS for private party vehicle sales. Says nothing about specific vehicles. I am going to look into it further also.

By the way, I am sure everybody knows someone at a dealership or an insurance adjuster.

Jason
Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Its been that way up here in Ontario for many years.I'm sure it will spread everywhere eventually.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Here is the root of the problem, if you give a politician ten cents he will spend a dollar. They are always looking for more ways to impose "hidden taxes".
Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Like 123 said it has been that way here for years. What has changed is the procedure for collector/classic cars. What happens is a guy will buy a car from someone and not change the ownership. Figures I will do this when the car is done. So he buys a car for lets say 1000.00 . After doing a body off resto job goes to all that work and paying the taxes on the supplies and parts as he goes he goes into the license bureau and finds out he needs an appraisal first. Gets the appraisal and goes back to switch the ownership over. He will be taxed on the appraised value. So the moral of the story is if you have a project in the back yard get it switched over to your name cause there will be no notice if they switch the laws. Just another tax grab.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Mr 1984

The taxes on a vehicle were paid when the vehicle was sold new so why are we still paying taxes on it over and over and over when it's 'handed' down to another? It's because 'money was involved' in the transaction? Flood your local elected officials about this crap! I've been saying this for years now....it's time for a tax revolution in this country....
Old 09-24-2006, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Besides the mighty dollar, what get's taxed as much as a used car does when it's taxed time, after time, after time, after time, after................

You ge the point.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Can you say......."Cash Grab"

I knew you could............Won't you be my neighbour?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 AM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:

when congress is in session stock up on vaseline.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
Now, from what you stated, that just looks like the typical BS for private party vehicle sales. Says nothing about specific vehicles. I am going to look into it further also.

By the way, I am sure everybody knows someone at a dealership or an insurance adjuster.

Jason
Only 5 or 6 years ago insurance premiums seemed very affordable with fantastic coverage to match. Well, if you're an individual or family who pays for health insurance today chances are you're literally getting punched in the pocket book, and it hurts, i got to check out one of the site like www.insurancepaylite.com you could check how insurance companies price before renewing or getting new premiums
Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

Bad news for us Texans

Back to the topic of the original post. I had heard the same story and had the same potential problem as mentioned. Bought a body for 1500, now have thousands in it, but hadn't transferred title. The complication came from trying to title it, when it was incomplete, not running, unlicensed for years etc. etc. Was told I had to have it finished and passed through inspections, maybe a bonded title, yada yada, yada. Just no way to do it until then. On the advice of another rodder, I changed my tactics. Walked in to dmv with my documents (new york registration certificate/bill of sale), said I did not want to license it, just transfer the title to my name. Done in 3 minutes. No inspection requirements, no insurance requirements, no appraisal. Paid taxes on the bill of sale amount, no questions asked. This was late January. Got the title in the mail last week. I understand I now have the option of getting an inspection and normal plates, or getting the antique, limited use plates.
Don't know why "transfer title only" is such a magic phrase, but try it. You'll like it.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

"and money answereth all things." Ecc 10:19
Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
got to love it stroked!

man oh man something needs to be done!! we need a fresh government that is not thinking of ways to line there own pockets

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.