Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bad rubber fuel lines
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad rubber fuel lines

Recently I replaced rubber fuel lines on one of my rods, both standard pressure and high pressure line. The lines clearly said GATES on them, and were very cracked. As I began the removal, the high pressure line started spewing fuel from the residual pressure in the line. 28 psi system.

It has not been a lot of years since these lines were new because I installed them. The only lines that were even half way decent were the ones on the outlet of the fuel tank, which are the most isolated and sheltered.
This is a year around, nice weather, weekly driver, so no undue stress was placed on the rubber.

The new rubber lines appear to have a MUCH shorter service life than what we were used to only 10 years ago.

3-4 year replacement intervals might be the new normal for aftermarket hose.

I suggest that everybody double check your rubber fuel lines. It might be later than you think.

Yes, I am reposting this here as a new thread because it appears as post # 23 in the other thread and a lot of people might not click in to see it.