Bad rubber fuel lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad rubber fuel lines

Recently I replaced rubber fuel lines on one of my rods, both standard pressure and high pressure line. The lines clearly said GATES on them, and were very cracked. As I began the removal, the high pressure line started spewing fuel from the residual pressure in the line. 28 psi system.

It has not been a lot of years since these lines were new because I installed them. The only lines that were even half way decent were the ones on the outlet of the fuel tank, which are the most isolated and sheltered.
This is a year around, nice weather, weekly driver, so no undue stress was placed on the rubber.

The new rubber lines appear to have a MUCH shorter service life than what we were used to only 10 years ago.

3-4 year replacement intervals might be the new normal for aftermarket hose.

I suggest that everybody double check your rubber fuel lines. It might be later than you think.

Yes, I am reposting this here as a new thread because it appears as post # 23 in the other thread and a lot of people might not click in to see it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Depending on the area, ethanol is really hard on fuel lines, etc. A 2 year life span wouldn't surprise me at all. Gates has a new compound that is supposed to meet the S.A.E. spec for "ethanol"

A good point,'tho. When i do the front to rear Frankenstein check each season, the brake lines & fuel lines get a going over, along with the usual bolt tightening
Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

if those lines are anything but Neopreene you are playing with fire.Regular rubber line or transmission cooler line will not do for fuel line.

Chet
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,023 Times in 855 Posts
Let me post the NHRA rule on non-metallic fuel line....this is from the 2009 Rulebook....

"All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data recorder lines) must be metallic, steel braided or NHRA-accepted woven or woven-pushlock. A maximum of 12 inches total (front to rear) of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose is permitted for connection purposes only; individual injector nozzle and motorcycle fuel lines are excluded."

The aforementioned woven and woven-pushlock was last published in the 2008 Rulebook as follows:
"Aeroquip FC300, FC322; Aeroquip Starlite 200; AQP Socketless; Earl's Prolite; Fragola Performance Systems Series 8000 Push-Lite Race Hose; Gates LOL Plus; Goodridge 536, 710; Russell Twist-Loc836 and XRP HS-79; Dayco Imperial Nylo-seal tubing."

I'm still unsure if there is actually a "Goodridge" or if it's a typo for Goodrich.

It seems that there is a problem for the OEM manufacturers in countries where high concentrations of ethyl alcohol (ethanol) are used and we are probably headed down the same pike in this country. We already have E85 available at the pumps in many areas of the country and will probably see more, with the current liberal Democratic Congress and Democratic President at the helm. Check out this short paper from the Society of Automotive Engineers.....
http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2005-01-3708

The end-all of fuel lines has always been considered to be stainless steel. Stainless braided works also, but you need to be careful about the liner used to manufacture the stainless braided to make certain the liner is compatible with ethanol. Surprisingly, I found out by doing some searching about compatibility, that copper is very compatible with ethanol. So, using copper fuel line would seem to be the best and cheapest answer if you're totally re-plumbing your ride. Copper will work harden and crack from vibration though, so it must be secured well to the frame or a frame member or other suitable part of the vehicle all the way along its run from the tank/cell to the carb/injectors.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Last photo:

I am a firm believer in no rubber fuel lines in the fuel delivery system. My fuel delivery system has stainless braided aircraft hose from the steel fuel line to the pump and hard steel line from the pump to carb. I worked at a dealership through the years when Ford Motor Company had the under hood fire problems in the early 70's & 80"s that was traced to that 3" piece of rubber hose.

Vince

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.