bad running engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

bad running engine

I have a 1997 Dodge grand Caravan with the 3.3 V6. It has been running rough with a miss as well. I found the top of the valves had worn through the rockers. So I changed those and cleaned a lot of gunk out of the engine. I also found that the coil pack was bad and changed it. I put in new plugs and wires. Yes I have the firing order correct. :o) But it is still running with a miss and it has trouble idling and will even stall out at a light. I am leaning towards a bad oil pump. When I do the trick with the ignition I get a 43 and a 24 code. I had trouble finding info on coeds for this van but it look like the 24 code means the throttle position sensor is bad and the 43 code is detecting a miss firing cylinder. I am close? any suggestions? Thank in advance. Royce.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

Just a thought but if the valves had worn through the top of the rockers how does your cam look you may have a flat spot or worn cam.

30dee
Old 07-20-2006, 08:27 PM

could be a burnt valve. do a compression test. if its low on any put three squirts of oil in and recheck. if compression goes up its a ring.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 PM

bad running engine

I will check those things. Now let me add to this problem. Today I pulled the oil sending unit/pressure sensor out and it was leaking oil where you connect the wire. I replaced it and as soon as I started the engine not only is it still running bad but now it has what sounds like a rod knock. I tried putting the old sensor back in but that didn't help. I also put on a pressure gauge so I could actually see the pressure. It shows 35 to 45 at idle and around 60 or more at 2000 to 2500 rpm. Does any of that make sense? :o)
Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

The TPS sensor will cause a rough running motor. I would imagine that the knock is detonation from the bad tps. If your valve stems have worn through the rockers youve got a problem just from the metal in the oil. No telling what else. better get a magnetic oil drain plug and make sure you use a good oil filter for a while.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Your not going to believe this !!!

I found my problem. After all that discussion, I went out and tore the engine down to the block. You won't believe what I found. Someone who had been helping me dropped a bolt down the intake and it lodged under one of the valves keeping it open. I did a complete head job on both heads and did a lot of cleaning on the rest of the engine. I am putting it all back to gether and I have a good feeling I will have a good running engine now. :o). Thanks for all the insite though. I learned a lot about these engines from all of you and with everything I did to the enging. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM

I'll beleive that, I put a motor in a 96 Olds cutlass 3.1 I got from a junk yard, mine was the same thing ran for about 10 mins great then took out the valves with a bolt down the intake runner. Glad to hear I'm not the only one man that SUCKS!!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:37 AM

Thats awsome. Dont sweat the misshapps guys. I cant tell you how many fubars ive made.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.