Bad Spider Gears What To Do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad Spider Gears What To Do?

I just got my 72 Chevelle going this weekend and as a was pulling it back into the garage I was playing and to my surprise both rear tires were spinning . So being excited because I though that I have a posi i pulled the cover only to find that there are teeth missing on my spider gears causing the rear to lock up.

My problem is that this has to get fixed because its just going to blow up any way. What are my options what to do? I would like a limited slip rear end. But as always not enough money to go around. Any cheaper alternatives?

Specs for my rear
-8.2 ring
- 2.73 ratio
- number on ring gear 3910823 15-41 GM
- stock everything else

Thanks for the help

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Just replace the spider gears and drive it untill you can afford a limited slip rear end.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Last photo:

If you cannot see any damage to the ring and pinion or the carrier, just replace the spiders. Look very closely for any damage those missing teeth may have caused.

Vince
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

Ok... another question

Ok sounds good. I have checked that the ring and pinon are good and they are. I hopefully have a 68 chevelle parts car that still has the spiders in it. But I have got to thinking and locally there is a guy with about 150 chevelles, camaros and stuff. I have seen 8.2 GM posi units that are from the factory by googleing it, but I have not found out what options the car would have had to have to have the 8.2 posi. Up until now I always though that to have a posi in a chevelle it had to have the 12 bolt from the factory.

Thanks again

John
Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Posi was a $40 option on 10-bolt or 12-bolt back then, but most people who bought lo-po cars didn't get it.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:34 AM

I think I'd also take the broken teeth and piece em back together with the broken gears and determine how much scrap metal is left in the housing and begin running magnets all over the inside of the case, housing, and tubes to try and keep that scrap out of the bearings.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

I like the magnet idea.I'm pretty sure that the person that owned it before me put on a lot of miles with the broken teeth because they are not all that shiny like a fresh break, but kinda dull. But I have not located the broken teeth . I think that they are the whole ton of metal that is in the bottom the the case.

does any one know what spider gears will inter change? if any at all? Just like to know because my parts car is still in a field with snow and mud and ice up to the floor boards. Not to sure that i want to go dig it out quite yet.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:

Depending on how bad you broke em, you could always pull the carier and weld the spiders up. That way you get your locker and save a bunch of cash. Good idea with the magnets, last thing you need is shavings in your rea end.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Some pictures

Well I have got some pictures to show the damage to the spiders. There is 3 teeth missing in all. I have been calling around locally and have had no success yet.

I would weld the spiders up, but this is going to be driven 99% of the time on the street. Now that I think a bit 99.9% street maybe .1% strip. If it was a mud slinging truck that would be a different story.

I think this could be only the start of problem that I'm going to have with the 454.

So if anyone has any ideas on what interchanges with these spiders that would be so helpful right at this moment. Because at this moment it looks like I'm going to be getting real dirty in the mud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67381529-DFE8-F3B6-2096E8ED006C9C6A.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	11367  
Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Spider gears are not that high...go get some new ones.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksixseven
Depending on how bad you broke em, you could always pull the carier and weld the spiders up. That way you get your locker and save a bunch of cash. Good idea with the magnets, last thing you need is shavings in your rea end.
Won't end up with a locker, he'll end up with broken axles or a blown up diff, Welding is not an answer, immagine going down the road, having the weld break and then go around and jam itself up, and compleatly locks the rear wheels up, wouldn't end well, I know that. Or how about going around a turn when the axle brakes?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Henry - I'm looking for new ones and i can't find them at all.

If it this hard to find parts I should put in a more common rear like 8.5 10 bolt or 12 bolt.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.