Bad Valve?...How do you tell? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bad Valve?...How do yah tell

Me and my friend were tinkering on his car. everything seems and sounds fine. I took the air cleaner off to adjust the idle. At idle everything seems and sounds fine, but i noticed if i gave the throttle a quick flick of the wrist it would shoot some air up through the carb, not a backfire but just air. He had adjusted the valves recently and i thought he might have overtightend. We readjusted the valves and the problem was not resolved. It is not noticeable with the air cleaner on. Im guessing there is a valve that isnt seating? What do you fellas think?...if so is there a way to find out which one

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Bad Valve?...How do you tell?

Me and my friend were tinkering on his car. everything seems and sounds fine. I took the air cleaner off to adjust the idle. At idle everything seems and sounds fine, but i noticed if i gave the throttle a quick flick of the wrist it would shoot some air up through the carb, not a backfire but just air. He had adjusted the valves recently and i thought he might have overtightend. We readjusted the valves and the problem was not resolved. It is not noticeable with the air cleaner on. Im guessing there is a valve that isnt seating? What do you fellas think?...if so is there a way to find out which one
Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

valve?

What engine is it?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by High School Hot Rod
A compression test would be a good start

Chet
Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by High School Hot Rod
Hook a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. There are many things you can learn about a motor with a vacuum gauge.....
http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/vacuum2.htm

I suspect what you are experiencing when you wing the throttle is simply reversion. As the piston comes down on its stroke, it pulls in air fuel mixture with the intake valve open. As the piston approaches bottom dead center, the intake valve has begun closing, but is not closed yet because the column of fuel/air mixture has inertia and will continue to pack the cylinder even after the piston bottoms and heads back up the cylinder. So we keep the intake valve open for a little while as the piston comes back up to compress the mixture. This is where the delicate balancing act comes with a camshaft, closing the intake valve at exactly the right time to capture all the mixture possible, but also closing it in time to prevent the piston from pushing an excess of the mixture back up the intake tract through the "still open" intake valve.

With a performance cam, the cam will not be efficient until higher up in the rpm range, so what you are seeing is reversion where the piston is pushing some of the mixture back past the intake valve and out the carburetor air horn. This phenomenon will disappear as the revs increase and the motor "comes up on the cam". This effect can best be observed at night with a very strong light shone across the top of the carb. With a lumpy cam, you'll see a formation of mixture outside the carb. It's being blown out of the motor, but sucked back in at the same time. Pretty cool.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

try running a compression test on all the cylinders. the one that is off the most is probably the culprit.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

spark plug tester fitting

blow air into the cylinder at TDC with the valves closed. you can buy or make and adaptor that screws into the sparkplug hole then hook up an air hose, listen at the carb, exhaust pipe. oil filler, radiator cap for air getting out somewhere turn the engine to next position to test all the cylinders
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A vacuum gauge will tell you if valves are not sealing properly, pretty obvious if the gauge is jumping all over the place when its idling.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM

we did a compression check
and found that compression was horrible on two adjacent cylinders. Pulled the heads and the gasket was blown between the to bores. Put it back together but still had a little bit of the same problem, but to less of a degree. Im guessing its reversion like techinspector stated.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
A vacuum gauge will tell you if valves are not sealing properly, pretty obvious if the gauge is jumping all over the place when its idling.
Hey 4 Jaw Chuck,

Is there any chance you could combine the three identical threads on this same thing? All three threads have posts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Did you re-check the compression after you put it together. You may have a warped head. Usually something causes head gasket failure, overheating, to high of a compression ratio for the given gasket material, failed head bolts or rot from coolant to name a few.

Chet
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM

we checked compression all seemed swell. We are hoping that it was just a cheap gasket. We couldnt find any cracks on the block or heads, and dont think its been overheated. Guess he'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what happens

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.