bagging my car trailer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bagging my car trailer

I'm thinking about trying something like this to get the trailer closer to the ground for easier loading and unloading and reducing the need for long ramps. Maybe even eliminating them all together with a dove tail. Is there a general rule to lift vs the load carrying capacity? I figure I'll need about ten inches of lift at the tail of the trailer. I see a need in keeping the axle located so I think using a monoleaf and bags would be pretty hip. The bags could be filled from my on board air compressor I use for the pit's and that just leaves the valves to figure out. I could use a quick connect fittings between the compressor and trailer when it's not needed and a 2 ball valve's. With air lines ran to one bag from the compressor, it would open to fill, close it when it ready, and the other would open to dump, and close it to fill. A pressure regulator cold be used to prevent over filling.

I preferr to keep this low budget and without solenoids and such to fail or complex wires and plumbing to maintain.

What's the typical operating system pressure for bagged suspensions?

Advertisement

Last edited by johnsongrass1; 02-07-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

That is a good idea, if you have a tool box on the tung you might run the pluming to it and mount the compressor in the box. self contained so to speak . . never mind I reread your post and decided you are using an enclosed trailer and my brain storm was focused on an open trailer. You might be looking at 4 bags with the weight, do the air bags require the compressor to cycle in order to maintain ride hight? if so you could be a busy man with ball valves.

Last edited by pepi; 02-08-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: to many reasons to list
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 AM

Last photo:

you have 2 axles so you will need 4 bags. 2600 lbs each such as a fire stone or an air lift. i seriously recomend selinoid valves. come on now whats cooler than sitting in you truck and hitting a switch! you should get a small reserve tank for air like a 3 or 5 gallon. air pressure is probably about 160. you should get a seperate compressor for the trailor and wire in a presure switch to keep every thing pumped up when driving. don`t for get about shocks.need to controll that bounce. don`t think you will get any lower with leafs might have to make a 4 link type design for it.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

I can't help with bag advice, I'd be concerned about losing pressue or a bag with a load on. Where would you buy replacement bags if you were on the road?

I bought a Sloan Rollback Trailer, no ramps, lowest loading car-hauler trailer (they claim).

I also put a winch on it so I can drag cars onto the deck...something you can't do easily with ramps...

http://www.kwikload.com/special.htm

Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I don't wanna use a tilting deck because stuff would fall off the deck when tilted. Or the stuff in the front mounted box would fall out. My compessor is 5 gallon 125 compressor that runs off a 7500 watt generator with my light's and other electrical stuff. I have 110v outlet's in the rear of the trailer and air lines with fittings plumbed back there as well. Yes, this is a open trailer. Standard 18' deck with dove tail and steel floor with compressor and generator mounted on board.

I didn't realize the bags lost air. That makes thing interesting. How fast do they lose air? I could get use a 175 30g compressor instead. What do soliniods cost?

I had a wench till I loaned it out and I haven't seen it since. Now I got a lot of budyd's that push. Sometime the wrecker helps But not messing with ramps would be pretty nifty. Lower and load, raise and go.

Trailer weighs 1100lbs, car at 2457, tires are 7 and rims are 19lbs. Got about 10 of those at any given time. Tools and things are 500lbs on the highside. So that's about 4500 pounds total.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

It's not that the bags would lose air - but you could blow a bag out for sure - or the feed lines - while you were on the road...

I can see not wanting the tilt bed, all depends on what you're using it for, I do think it's a great idea if the bags would hold up and they are readily available in event of a failure.

I think some bigger semi-trucks use air-ride systems...maybe you could find some off a totalled cab as opposed to aftermarket auto-style bags...?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

A lot of big trucks use air in the trailers
When we move equipment we only use Air Ride trucks.
The equipment rides much better and stays where we block it.
A couple of times long ago there was no air ride available and some of our
7000lb pieces of equipment bounced out of the blocking and got cocked in the truck. All it took was one bounce off a curb. Air ride---much better for the ride of the cargo.

Bryan
Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

check out

Air Lift Company Lansing MI Google for info etc.
They are a pioneer and have bags for everything.....
Dont care in what or where have never heard of bags going out 100%.
The kangaroo kars have compresssor system to keep car level, or drop, so they always have air supply.
I'd try the google search first.... VERY low $$$ !!!!
Ahhh the udder ting is there ARE dirt track racer BBoards, likewise googel for them and see what U can find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dontcha just LOVE the web? Unlimited help and info at low cost.

MELLO

Last edited by MELLO PT; 02-24-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:

Excellent idea, I bagged the rear of my Dodge p/u for extra towing capacity and load leveling. Using Firestones with a mini compressor(the size of my hand) under the hood. The bags are good up to 200psi,never been more than 40lbs,load rated at 2500 ea. There's no sylinoids or any tricky components and I put a switch w/pressure guage on the lower dash. Works great...just under 350 for all parts..

Last edited by 68RATVT; 02-24-2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add price

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.