Balanced 383 Rotating Assembly, Have some questions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Balanced 383 Rotating Assembly, Have some questions?

I am working on my boat which is a 2001 Glastron GX205. The boat originally had a 305 from the factory. I am debating on putting a 383 that I already have in the boat instead of rebuilding the 305. I have a few questions though.

The 305 has a flywheel instead of a flex plate, my 383 has a flex plate and is a 1 piece RMS. I always thought my flex plate on my 383 was a 400 flex plate, with a 400 harmonic balancer. Well while doing research and trying to figure this thing out I am thinking it is a 400 balancer with a 350 externally balanced flex plate. (They don't make a 400 flywheel/flex plate for a 1 piece rms) The engine was professionally balanced by a shop. Here are some pictures of the balancer and the flex plate http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/crussell85/ can someone confirm this combo for me. The engine is a pre ran engine that was in my truck and it ran smooth, no vibration at all. I am curious if I can run the flywheel from the 305 on the 383.

Here is the original post where this question started at if you want to check it out, I have a few more questions over there about this whole thing Marine Carb Selection

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

If the 305 is a one piece seal motor, yes. Otherwise you will have to get a one piece seal flywheel and have it balanced to the engine.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
I am working on my boat which is a 2001 Glastron GX205. The boat originally had a 305 from the factory. I am debating on putting a 383 that I already have in the boat instead of rebuilding the 305. I have a few questions though.

The 305 has a flywheel instead of a flex plate, my 383 has a flex plate and is a 1 piece RMS. I always thought my flex plate on my 383 was a 400 flex plate, with a 400 harmonic balancer. Well while doing research and trying to figure this thing out I am thinking it is a 400 balancer with a 350 externally balanced flex plate. (They don't make a 400 flywheel/flex plate for a 1 piece rms) The engine was professionally balanced by a shop. Here are some pictures of the balancer and the flex plate http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/crussell85/ can someone confirm this combo for me. The engine is a pre ran engine that was in my truck and it ran smooth, no vibration at all. I am curious if I can run the flywheel from the 305 on the 383.

Here is the original post where this question started at if you want to check it out, I have a few more questions over there about this whole thing Marine Carb Selection
From the pictures I can see that the damper and the flex-plate are external balance units. That means your 383 will not balance without these parts or an equivalent counter balance applied to other parts.

The 305 flywheel will not bolt to the one piece rear main 383 crank unless it came from a 1 piece rear seal 305. Plus it will not have the necessary balance. If the 305 wheel has the same bolt pattern as the 383 crank it could be used by having a balance shop counterbalance it to the same amount as used on the 383 flex-plate. The absolute weight difference between that of a flex-plate and a flywheel wouldn't matter, only the amount and position of the counter weight is meaningful to the crank assembly.

Bogie
Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

both engines are 1 piece rms, so from what I gather from both of you is that if I take just the 383 flexplate and the 305 flywheel to a balance shop they will be able to make the 305 flywheel work on the 383?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 AM
More for Less Racer

The 1-pc seal 305 flexplate/flywheel should alredy match the flexplate for the 1-pc seal 383, as there are no other flexplate/flywheel balance combinations for the 1-pc seal crank like there is for the 2-pc seal cranks. All 1-pc seal cranks take the same weighted flexplate/flywheel.

This isd assuming the balance shop didn't alter the flexplate on the 383 when they did the balance job(which they shouldn't if they know what they are doing, to retain interchangability).
Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

I can't see anywhere on the flexplate that they altered the flexplate. I'm not sure if you know this name or not Eric but the rotating assembly was balanced by Banks Performance out of Grand Rapids. I am pretty sure that is the name of the machine shop that did the balance. My machine shop sent it to them.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You would want to get a 1 pcs seal 350 manual trans flywheel and have it rebalanced for your 383 stroker crank. If your stroker crank is "externally balanced"
thye will add a bolt on or weld on a balance weight to bring it to correct balance. They will need the new fly wheel and the 383 flex plate for reference.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

It will be interesting to see what happens. They make a few different flywheels for 1 piece seal engines. The flywheel balance is the same for a 305 and 350.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

That's what his Pics above show, stock 1-Pc RMS Flexplate. Unless they add weight to the rear of the Crank somewhere I don't see how that could work with an external balance 383. I haven't seen a 1-Pc RMS 383 Crank, maybe they're made that way.

I don't know if these will fit a 1-Pc RMS Crank.>> http://www.competitionproducts.com/B...ductinfo/4161/ isn't the rear diameter a different size?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

The 1 piece seal flex plate and flywheels have weights on them. The 2 piece seal flywheels and flexplates won't fit on a 1 piece seal engine. All the offshore 383 cranks i have seen looked like they had work done to them.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I recently purchased a video called "Power Building Videos" http://www.powerbuildingvideos.com/i...=prod&prd9.htm

I have been watching these for the past few days, they are kind of hard to watch, they are a little boring but VERY informative and good information can be aquired from the videos. After watching the rotating assembly video he was talking about balancing and he had brought up about drilling the flexplate to balance the engine. If you go back and look at these photos http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC02210.jpg you can see that on the outer perimeter of the flexplate there is 1/4" or so holes drilled in various locations to balance the flexplate to the rotating assembly. My question is now solved, I can't run the 305 flywheel on the 383 unless I have it balanced to the 383 engine because it is not a stock external balance flywheel on the rear of the engine.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

I figured you would have problems trying to do that. They sell so many different combinations of those aftermarket rotating assemblies it woud not take much to throw the whole thing off.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

I ran the engine last summer. I took the orginially balance flexplate to my parts store and had them bring out a stock 350 flexplate for the 1 piece rms 350 and the flexplate was exactly the same. All the 1/4" holes I was talking about were there and everything. I installed the flywheel from the 305 and all seems to be well. The engine runs really smooth.

I am trying to fix some mess ups during these winter months trying to get it ready for summer. I know I have asked a few times about this but I am still looking for a cam selection and a carb choice. I think I have the cam chosen but the carb is still up in the air. I am currently running a Holley 4160 600cfm. I have been told by several people that the carb is on the very small side for a 383. I am looking at the Holley 4150 750cfm double pumper http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80537/ or the Edelbrock 1410 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1410/. I'm not sure which one I want or which one is better/easier to tune.......etc.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.