Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - BALANCED rotating assembly
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I think they are about as accurate as a "factory balanced" engine is. It's pretty close, but can be greatly improved on. Here's my story: Many years ago I bought a "balanced kit" to build a 334 CID engine using a 305 block and a cut down 400 crank. Turned out the 305 block I had, the main bearings had spun badly, and it was junk. So, I just hung onto the kit until a good 305 block was given to me years latter. After it was together, and in the truck, something was'nt right. It would idle fine, but start to drive, it was like it was pulling a battleship, and had a "dull" feeling to it. I actually parked the truck for several years rather than mess with it anymore. Then one day, in a magazine, I saw a layout of several Chevrolet flywheels and flexplates. WHAT??? That can't be right. Took off the converter shield and.............FOUR-FIFTY-FOUR flexplate!!! Swapped to a 400 flexplate, and it's been smooth sailing since. California Discount Warehouse must only balance their engines to "known, general specs", without balancing them WITH the dampener and flexplate on the rotating assembly, and put a 454 flexplate in the box. My truck had sat for six years, and I had the kit stored for probaly another six before that, so forget about any kind of warranty or compensation. Now I take MY PARTS to MY MACHINIST, because the others obviously can't be trusted. Butch/junior stocker.