Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - BALANCED rotating assembly
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 377MONTE View Post
I am looking into a few of the different balanced rotating assemblies available for a 377/383 stroker build. need some help here..

Eagle sells a BALANCED external balance 383 rotating assembly that comes with a new flexplate and harmonic dampener. Will this pre-balanced kit be good enough to drop into the block and bolt up, or will i need to have my local machine shop check their work and rebalance it???
What you want to find out is whether the balance was STATIC (weight matched) or DYNAMIC (spun w/bobweights).

If the assembly was spun balanced there should be a balance sheet accompanying the assembly showing the weights, etc. If there is none, assume it was statically balanced.

That said, prebalanced kits from Eagle- regardless of the method- should be spun balanced by a reputable shop IMO. Double that if there's no balance sheet. There's a chance the vendor might do dynamic balancing of the Eagle kits, but you'd have paid for this. You might want to read what Eagle themselves has to say: http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?op...d=28&Itemid=25