Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Balanced Rotating Assembly
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Balanced Rotating Assembly

Wow, this is a cool site. I just bought an eagle street strip rotating assembly from a friend. He bought it about six months ago and never took it out of the box. He went with a big block instead. I bought it real cheap from him for my 383 build-up. The assembly is already balanced externally and comes with everything. I brought the rotating assembly into my machine shop along with my block to have some work done to it. They called me back a few days later and told me my new crank was garbage. I went in and took a look at it and talked to them. They showed me the spot where they drill out holes to take weight out on the crank to balance it. Below that, right beside the journal area they drilled another hole to take more weight out. He said by drilling down there instead of grinding, it is about 80% more likely to crack and break. Also, the rod journals have cross lines in them and he said that will cut the motors life in half. Is all this true or are they blowing smoke up my ***? Someone please help me. Thank you.