balancer installing tool - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

balancer installing tool

Hi,

Engine: 1955 Plymouth 261 Cu.in. V8
I'm trying to make a balancer installation tool. For I'm in Europe finding the right tool would not be easy. I looked at this site and found out some people make there own. A threaded rod and a nut.
My crank has a hole with UNF 3/4. Can use a threaded rod of grade 5 to make a tool or is a higher grade needed? To make a tool I need a threaded rod at a length of 4 inches and two nuts (= in order to get the rod out of the crank after installing the balancer). To make one I need to buy a rod of 3 feet! Anyone know a bolt with this length of thread? I searched Farbory.
B.t.w. I do not like the wooden block and 6 pound tool, took me 4 years to find a good, crack-free crank.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Boil the balancer on the stove in a big pot of water for 30 minutes. Makes the hole just a little bigger and goes on with a few good Hits of a 6 lb-er and a big block of wood. Then buy the wifey a new set of oven mitts to replace the ones ya left out in the garage. If the whole in the balancer is the right size to make just a slight pres fit onthe balancer snout when at room temp, when ya heat it up to 100 C it goes on easy.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Hey Edwin

I would think that the correct treaded rod & 4 nuts & a few of flat washers.

Thread the rod into the crank
hold up the balancer add a inch or 2 to the measurement . Enuf to double nut the end {jam nut}if you don't have a welder.

I would also use a couple {minimum} between the friction nut & the balancer.

I would "guess T mate" that the bigger the washer the more likely it will not want to cross thread on {I want to say get **** eyed but I don't know if that will pass thru the spam blocker}.

If you want I could draw up a crude drawing
One of them is worth a thousand words.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance & let use know how you made out please.

... crock eyed?...

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Edwin,

Buy a bolt and one nut six inches long grade five is ok but I think grade eight would be better. You will want to have the threads cut all the way up the length of the bolt. Any shop that has taps and dies can do this. Next you will need a large flat washer that is larger than the hole in the balancer. I like to install a thrust bearing from an automatic transmission between the flat washer and the installation nut. This keeps the friction levels down when you are tightening the nut to install the balancer.
Back to what to do. Tap the balancer on the crankshaft a few light taps. Then install the long threaded BOLT with the flat washer and thrust bearing and nut installed as far up the bolt as possible. Remember the nut goes on first then the thrust washer and lastly the big flat washer. Thread the bolt by hand into the crankshaft until the bolt bottoms in the crankshaft. Then using two wrenches one to tighten the nut against the thrust washer which will push the balancer on to the crankshaft snout and the other to hold the long bolt from tightening any more into the crankshaft. A touch of light grease can't hurt. When the balancer is all the way on just untighten the bolt head and the job is finished. Just install the crankshaft bolt and washer and move on to the next step.

Scholman
Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

I use hardened ready rod of an appropriate size, cut to length. Get a good grade matching size axle u-bolt nut, because they're extra thick for plenty of thread contact. Screw the rod well into the crank, put a few well-lubed hardened washers in place, then the nut. Lube everything with anti-seize lubricant. It's an excellent lube for threaded tools of this nature and will protect the threads.
Never beat a damper on or off, that is hack work.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Wait till the wife leaves then preheat oven to 250F toss it in for about 30 minutes grab a pair of thick cotton gloves(with no holes in them) when u take it out move quick metal immediatly starts cooling fast, if u follow the directions and have no burrs it should slide right on with no tapping. (Dont go any higher than 250 or u start changing the heat treat of the metal)
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz1953
Wait till the wife leaves then preheat oven to 250F toss it in for about 30 minutes grab a pair of thick cotton gloves(with no holes in them) )
Did the oven thing with my exhaust castings, after I painted it with Black Velvet, nearly got caught .
Everyone, thanks for the reply. I'm now in the process of putting on the timing chain and gears. Do some checks on the chain to see if it is OK for this is one of the few items that were OK when I disassembled the engine. Working in steps and making/planning tools for the next step. When I have it on I'll let you know. Next little step is to measure the diameter of the crank and the balancer to see how tight the fit is. Next is painting the chain cover and putting a new gasket in. Then the tool has to be ready for the balancer to go on.
There is one thing about living in Europe, no imperial bolts available in the hardware store, so finding a shop that will cut UNC or even UNF .
Did find one store that is willing to look for grade 5 3/4 x 6in. UNF.
All hopes on this one.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Good luck

Got a camera?

I would like to see how you make out.

I hate not having the right tool when needed. Sort of Throws a wrench in the works... well If I had the right wrench it wouldn't get thrown in the works.....

hmmmmmn what a paradox.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

Rob,

I have a camara, a good one. Able to make a shot in just room/garage light without a flashlight if needed, closeup shot, out of free hand and still a fair good picture.

The thing is, I do not know how to put it onto the forum. I don't have a website.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

www.photobucket.com
its free & you can do lots of stuff there.

If you don't have a program that will make your pix smaller .
640X480 is good for most forums.
my camera has a option called a "batch process"

@ hotrodders.com you have your own personal photo gallery & project journal .

Now the easiest ways is the "reply to thread " there is a manage attachment's button. below the text input screen

When you click it it will give you 5 browse buttons so you can pull pixs {5} off your PC {but they have to be small enuf to fit}

Now if you want to make big Pix there is a button above the text input screen I call it the little yellow mountain button

If you have a pix you want to be on the screen that is already hosted {on the net} you can R/click on it & scroll down to the properties highlight & copy the URL

then Come back to the input screen for HR.com click the L Y M button & Paste the URL in there & you will have a "big picture .

But keep in mind some people have slow dial up & slow computers & some will complain or not look if it takes more effort than they want to put in.

Being able to post photos here can be Very Very helpful when trouble shooting problems & very nice if you want to show off & brag

I think that covers it but feel free to ask if you run into any problems. or If I for got something {very possible}

Picture are good

R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manage attachments button.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	24652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow mountain box.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	24653  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.