Balancing and dbl keyway cost? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Balancing and dbl keyway cost?

Hello.
Just curious what the average cost of balancing the pistons n rods cost? Also, whats the rate for having the crank dbl keywayed? What is involved in it? HG

Advertisement

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

balance job on a typical V-8 is about $275.00 or around there.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Balancing will range from $125 - 200 (typically). You can add another $65 - 100 for the double keyway. The "double" keyway is actually one keyway cut 180* from the standard keyway (the one the woodruff keys are in to hold your timing gear and dampner) in the snout of your crank. If you are going to run a balancer/dampner you will need to have it cut as well.

I went with a single full length keyway, that is what was recommended to me by Don Hampton. So far so good.

Royce
Old 10-22-2004, 06:17 AM
brains

Last photo:

For no more boost then you plan on running you dont need a double keyway. In the 6-10lb boost range you would be wasting your money. I have ran all my blower motors with single keys. I pay 225$ for balancing

Ben
Old 10-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Balancing here is $125.

I agree. I don't believe you'll need double keys. I think you've made victim of advertising.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Hmmm, you mean building an expensive blower motor someone wouldn't spend the $75 it typically costs to double key a heavy rotating mass like a damper. I'd hate to see the damage it would inflict on it's way out, let alone the liability for wherever it wound up. Even in a street blower setup, the blower puts a lot of strain on the crank snout, and who doesn't get a little crazy once in a while? Aren't we all about overkill?

Balancing in Anchorage cost me $250 and the key-way was $75 - the blower damper came double grooved from ROMAC. My machinist however, didn't like cutting the key-way clear out to the end of the snout, his personal feeling is it could be a problem with the key walking out, I didn't have a problem with that, but don't see it as a real problem.

Larry
Old 10-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

The cam decision killed me guys. Now I have to figure out if I need to dbl key it????
I'll see what the cost is around here. Do I need to take the crank and balancer both if I do it?
Anyone have any pics or a diagram that shows me exactly what it is your talking about? Im a little confused on it. Tnx, HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 10-22-2004, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

SBC cranks snouts are on the small side. This is the reason I did not run a balancer/dampner. I am running a crank hub with a single keyway that is cut the length of the snout. Some guys swear by double keyways and some don't. The guy I bought my blower kit from (Don Hampton) is known as the "Godfather" of blowers and was the first to open a blower shop. He knows his stuff. I was lucky enough to spend a few hours talking to him as he set up my blower. I picked his brain as much as possible. He does not like the idea of a balancer on a SBC (because the crank snouts are weak and that sets the blower pulley out even more which puts more strain on the snout along with the added weight).

I am running 12lbs of boost on pump gas and have not had a problem with the single keyway. To each his own, like I said before it all depends on who you talk to. If your blower manufacturer recommends a double keyway then you should follow their advice. If your machinist tells you to run a double keyway then you should probably follow his lead (just in case there are problems).

My machinist had no problem with the single keyway and crank hub and they have built all kinds of engines (including blown).

I didn't decide on a single or double keyway based on cost. Money was not a problem, just wanted it done right. After doing lots of research I am comfortable with my decision.

Royce
Old 10-22-2004, 08:38 PM

Last journal entry: "Z" construction
Last photo:

I've seen blower motors with crank supports. Has anyone had any experience with them? What kind of bearing do they use that survives the RPM it has to put up with?
I would be using it probably more for show than as a necessity. 10-12 Lbs. Boost on a big block / 1071.

Any brand names or web sites to look for. My blower is a BDS and I don't see anything in their catalog.

Last edited by pro70z28; 10-22-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

I want it done right also.
But getting several ideas always throws ya for a loop. Especially when your mind is like mine. LOL
Royce? Did your BDS blower come with a crank hub? If I bought a Weiand blower, could I buy the crank hub seperatly to use? HG

Old 10-23-2004, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

My blower is not a BDS, it is a Don Hampton Blower. Yes, it came with a crank hub. You can buy and add a crank hub to any blower setup. The problem is, when they make the drive system up, everything needs to be lined up. I am not sure how Weiand sets theirs up. If you give Holley/Weiand a call they probably have a hub for their kits as well. If you are going to have to mis and match to get what you want it will probably be cheaper to go with a Hampton, BDS, Mooneyham, Kuhl, etc... These kits are all custom, they build them to your specs. The cost is not much higher when it is all said and done.

All you can do is try to digest all the info you get from different sources and then make your own choices. I know what you are going through. If your buddies car runs the way you want yours to, then follow his lead. There is always more than one way to get a job done. I am only offering advice on what I learned over the years. People were nice enough to let me pick their brain so I am trying to return the favor.

There is a good book out there called Street Supercharging by SA designs, I strongly suggest you grab a copy. It will cover all the basics and has a lot of info in it from the pros. It covers bottom ends and what boost levels require what, cam selection, blower selection, etc... You are going to have well over $10K into your engine when it's all said and done, so spend an extra $20 and pick up this book. You will still have questions, trust me. Even the pros have different theories and beliefs.

Royce
Old 10-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Thanks royce.
I actually already bought that book and your right, it is good. I pretty much know my setup already. Im following a guys lead that lives dwn the road from me. Im just not sure if he dbl'd his crank key or not. I'll probably do it just for insurance.
I got my kit ordered so Im anxiously awaiting its arrival. Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone. Hg

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.