Hot Rod Forum banner

Balancing polished aluminum wheels

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sandflea427SS 
#1 ·
I have a set of Weld polished aluminum wheels that my local wheel shop has balanced twice for me and I am still getting wheel vibration. I have asked them to only put wheel weights on the inside of the rim to keep the outside looking its best. The wheels have been balanced each time off the car. Any suggestions how to balance the wheels without showing weights on the outside? I have Kuomo P18570R14 tires on the rims. These are the front wheels.
Thanks for the advice.

#3 ·
A trained (emphasis on trained) mechanic should have no problem balancing those rims/tires. I static balance custom rims/tires all the time with no problems. One of the biggest problems is most poorly trained guys don't realize that most balancers don't tell you if there's a problem like a broken belt in the tire, bent rim, cupped or out-of-round tire, etc. I'd say what you really need is a good mechanic, not a part-time tire installer, to take a look at your car.

#4 ·
Trained mechanic...where?....I took some rims and tires to a friends shop and his new guy was struggling with mounting the 225/70/15s....He grabbed a tape measure and walked over to me saying the rim was a 16....Now I did buy the rims from my friend but, no....they have to be 15s. Sure enough he was measuring the outside lip and not the portion of rim where the tire rests.
DUH! I walked over, put pressure on the pry bar and just slammed the tire with the side of my fist....BOINGGG....
It worked, I just walked away laughing shaking my head....
Try finding a quality tire shop around this area....
HAHAHAHAAHA....GOOD ONE!!!!:smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.