Balancing Question=?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Stroker 351 W Ford Motor=Building
Wiki Edits: 1

Balancing Question=??

I purchased a new Scat assembly- building a chev 383 motor.Assembly is /has been balanced by local balancing shop. Was balanced with a standard flywheel. I am running an automatic-needs a 400 flexplate . I do not have the standard flywheel. How can the flexplate be balanced to the engine? I do have the balance sheet- yet is no flywheel info.Balance shop doesnt know what to do- What must I do=????

Advertisement

Last edited by twinpilot001; 08-24-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That wasn't too smart. The Shop should have asked for your Flexplate/Flywheel & Harmonic Balancer before they balanced it. The only thing to do is have it rechecked with your flexplate to see if it's in spec.
If the Standard weighted 400 Flywheel they used for balancing needed to be changed then your Standard weighted 400 Flexplate wont be correct. Your Flexplate may need weight removed or added. They should know this also.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 AM

383 balancing

Thanx for the reply- is apprecieated. What I dont understand is= With the shops balance sheet & the front balancer- why cant the flexplate be balanced?? Maybe=the rods,and pistons all are in spec-i do believe- along with the balancer. Yet im told to just bolt on the flexplate (by the balancer man) and try it to see if it needs anything(baklancing) ?? seems a really long way around -esp. if i have to take all apart & send all out again for a rebalancing? What to do?? Im just gettin too old for this incompetance in life -I do know some shop & person out there has a simple solution to this ?? Thanx again.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

All stock 400 Flexplates/Flywheels are built/balanced to the same specs for stock rotating assembles. But normally when you have a shop balance an external balance engine they want all your parts. Or if you buy a balanced Kit it will come with the Harmonic balancer & Flexplate that was used while balancing the assembly. I don't see why they can't check yours with your Flexplate.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 AM

balancing=??

Yes -I totally agree- just guess i need to speak with some otehr balance shops / people doing this work?? Seems with the balance sheet & the new front balancer that came with the assembly - the flexplate can be balanced to the other specs?/ checked against the balancer??Thanx again
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

The balance sheet of the bobweight specifics will not tell you anything about the flywheel.

I have zero confidence in the correct balance of aftermarket flywheels.

Your statement is confusing: "

Was balanced with a standard flywheel. I am running an automatic-needs a 400 flexplate"

Was it balanced with a neutral manual trans flywheel? If it was balanced with a neutral flywheel, then all you need is a neutral flexplate and that can easily be balanced. If they used a weighted flywheel(ie SBC 400 type) then they should be able to match a weighted flexplate in most balance machines.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 AM

balancing=?? rest of the ordeal.

I have been to the balancing guy & previous owner of this new skat kit(complete) - seems the orig owner had a standard flywheel balanced with the kit. I didnt get is as I am using an auto tranny. Also the dampner was a professionsl products for a 400 chev- yet the coubter weight was removed?? dont know why -yes it is replacable & i have done this. I was told to just bolt on a new 400 flexplate, & the balancer - with new counterweight & try running the engine. see what happens ?? I am going to fire it next week 9weather permitting) and test this all ouy. I just dont understand wht the balancer people dont record any balance info on the flywheels & crank balancers?? yet -im not a balancer guy??
Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If they used a standard flywheel and balancer with the weight removed then it sounds like they converted it to an internally balanced assembly. In that case you would just need a standard flexplate from a 350.

If this is what they did and you bolt on a balancer and flexplate from a 400 then it'll shake itself apart.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Thank You

I do believe this is what was done ?? Even the crank balancer had the counter weight removed(was aftermarket & weight was bolted on the balancer)-yet the balance shop didnt record any thing on the flywheel-when the balancing was done. I did buy & add the weight to the balancer and bolted the 400 flywheel on it - yet will start when my winter is over - all outside work for me & im in snow=yuk! so if it shakes -ive got to remove the flywheel & balancer weight then. What an ordeal=(

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.