Hot Rod Forum banner

Baldwin-Motion Camaros Return

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  malc 
#1 ·
Courtesy of Jalopnik.com:

Back in the heady muscle-car days, Chevrolet dealers could use something called Central Office Production Orders (COPO) to top off Camaros and Chevelles (and anything else they wanted to) with non-standard motors of the big-block persuasion. Among the dealers best known for marketing such high-performance tuners were Pennsylvania’s Yenko Chevrolet and Long Island’s Baldwin Chevrolet. The first created the ZL-1 Camaro, which can now grab seven figures at auction, while the second sold what it called Phase III Supercars in partnership with a local speed shop, Motion Performance, under the Baldwin-Motion banner. History lesson over. The Baldwin-Motion mojo returned last year with a $427,000 high-concept Camaro displayed at the 2005 SEMA show by Motion LLC, founded by the original owners of Motion Performance. Now, the company is offering new Phase III Camaros, priced in the Aston Martin range; a bargain considering the price of an original is in the Van Gogh range.
Full text: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109715

#2 ·
Hi Jon; I bought a '67 Camaro 350, SS,RS, 4 speed brandy new. I picked it up St. Pat's day 1967, (seems like a century ago.) On Memorial Day of that year, I changed out the original cam in favor of a Duntov 270 solid lifter piece and had a ton of fun with it. 302's were impossible to get and a 325 hp rat was in the books but could not be ordered at that time. I paid $ 3,464.95 for the jewel all black with a black interior, 3:73 12 bolt posi. I read all I could about Joel Rosen and the Motion Perf. bunch, even as far as to write and inquire about a 427 conversion for my 350 soon as the payment book was burned. I believe the price at that time was under a grand for everything. I had a ball with the 350, smoking some of the big block boys around here by it's ability to wind up around 6,500 which for a home grown unit was unusual. I had two payments to go in the book when she was stolen and stripped of everything but the rear. I was brokenhearted beyond belief. I swore some day, somehow, I'd have another. In 1995 my wish was granted and I picked up a 427 '67 for $4,500. It was an old drag racer with a bit of local history. That was much more than I paid for the original, but hey, inflation.
Motion Performace wasn't heard of then, so I had a 468 built from a 454 and sold the 427 to a friend. This winter I put a Tremec 5 speed in from Keisler. I have a little photo thing in my bio, but don't know how to put the pix in order. I just wanted to write and let you know I have been a great fan of Motion Performance since the good old days. Thanks for your time. W/B

#4 ·
I saw that car at the auction. My friend got them to raise it up on the lift so we could look under it. It was a nice car, very well done( a few small flaws, just cosmetic stuff). Seems to me that I remember the final bid at the auction was in the three hundred to low four hundred thousand range. I wonder if the guy backed out or if the price is listed wrong. If in fact it did go for $37,000.00 whoever got it got a heck of a deal.

John

#13 ·
I'm sick of everyone trying to make their own rendition of the 69 Camaro. I have YET to see anyone who can make the body lines look better. Not even a Foosified Ride can hold a candle to the original. How many Tri-Fives has anyone actually made, that looks better than the original. Zero. Zip. Nada. Some MAY have equalled it, but I have yet to see one BETTER, IMO.

I think B-M should have left the body mods alone, stuck with just the 572, minimal interior changes, and made the ride more affordable to the masses. Like his ORIGINAL concept. Perfomance mods only, and a simple appealing graphic.

This "one off" nonsense is starting to get old to me.

Here's a shot of the car I did with my brother last spring

Sorry for the size. I can never get it right. There are more pics in my Project Journal. Including hanging new quarters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.