Hot Rod Forum banner

ball joint spacer

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  kso 
#1 ·
When installing spacer to upper ball joint i install from bottom of arm not the top like normal. Is that safe and secure to install from bottom? Oem replacement install from top of arm no spacer.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
What do you mean by a "lift"? Using these spacers is a general bad practice. I haven't seen them used in the past 35 years except for nostalgic class drag cars.

How many shims are there at the upper arm? Removing them makes your camber more positive (top of wheel moves outward).

#11 ·
Spacers appeared in the late sixties/early seventies to let the front suspension react/raise on acceleration. They are very hard on upper A frames and front end alignment gets complicated..:spank:
Back in the day, I removed many of the things, along with broken upper A arms and destroyed ball joints..
:thumbup:

#20 ·
No shims.. you are at the maximum that the arm can come out and you have lost any means to adjust the caster as well.

So you're looking at an aftermarket set of a-arms. I know they're available for stock cars, forget which way they went. Look at some race car sites that provide parts for IMCA stock cars, Speedway carries lots of IMCA parts. The hot ticket used to be using Impala a-arms on Chevelle or metric chassis stubs since they were stronger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.