Hot Rod Forum banner

Ballast resistor or full 12v for Duraspark II?

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
The engine I'm using is a 79 351W from an Ltd. It has the original Duraspark II components (distributor and coil) except I swapped in a new control module with the blue strain relief instead of the original one with two yellow. Do I need to install a ballast resistor with this system or run it with full 12V? I'm installing it into my 68 F100 that's had the pink resistor wire removed.

#2 ·
So if I read everything correctly it looks as though the module itself needs the full 12v but the coil needs a ballast resistor? Would it not depend on what coil you use? I found one wiring diagram (see attached) that shows no ballast resistor but it labels the coil "12v hi-performance coil". Currently I've installed the original 1979 coil but if I replace it do I have some coil options that would require or not require the ballast resistor? Also because the original 68 F100 pink resistor wire on my truck was snipped off at the ignition switch and replacement would be too difficult could I use any of those ceramic ballast resistors you see mounted to fenders and firewalls? Are all ballast resistors similar?
conversion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.